Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

column length in tag

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
haydenwse
3831 Views, 12 Replies

column length in tag

In a structural column schedule I can show the length of the column.  I would like to show this length as a tag parameter on my elevations.  Is there a way to do this?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
CoreyDaun
in reply to: haydenwse

It does not appear possible to directly report Column Length in a Structural Column Tag. As a work-around. create a new Shared Parameter (Length) to report the Column Length and add that to your Tag Family. Now, open your Structural Column Family, add this Shared parameter as an Instance/Reporting Parameter, create a Linear Dimension between the top and bottom levels of the column, and link that to the newly added Shared Parameter. This value will now be reported by your Tag.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 13
haydenwse

Thanks for the reply.

I understand most of what you suggest but am unaware of how to link a dimension to a shared parameter.  Can you provide additional info on that step?

Message 4 of 13
CoreyDaun

Certainly. Just create a Linear Dimension as you normally would, and then select it. A pull-down menu "Label:" will appear on the Options Bar (just below the Ribbon) and you can select the appropriate Length Parameter from there to which to link it.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 13

I am not Sure if it will work, the way structural column is been created is with level based, so you can't add a linear dimension with a share parameter (it will overconstraint the geometry of the family). I even tried to snap it both surface extremity and somehow the analytical will be ok but the geometry of the structure stay the default value of this shared parameter one is uploaded to the project. It works fine with architectural columns when you snapped the dimension on both reference planes. The Way Architectural Colum is not created the same way than the structural column family. I need to investigate more to find a better solution.

Alaaeldin Alsahli

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted. ⇘
Message 6 of 13

Did you designate the Shared Parameter as a "Reporting Parameter" in the Family? I didn't run into any problems with my testing (although granted, I'm not very familiar with the application of Structural elements).

Message 7 of 13

I completley forgot about the Reporting Parameter 🙂

now it works 🙂

I will make a video and add it for the user

Alaaeldin Alsahli

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted. ⇘
Message 8 of 13

Thanks Again CADastrophe For the Help

and here is a video of the solution provided by CADastrophe

https://chronicle.autodesk.com/main/details/9e88a2fa-8ede-4b32-9e09-61531e7c8522

Alaaeldin Alsahli

Message 9 of 13
haydenwse

Thanks CADastrophe.

Your first solution worked great.  I was off on a different project an unable to try it until this morning. 

Sorry about the question on linking the dimensions.  When I first read it, I thought that dimension was added in the project rather than the column family and I couldn't figure out how to link a project dimention to a tag.  D'oh!

Message 10 of 13

Alaaeldin, your video shows what worked for me with one change.  I am working on a precast concrete project so I needed to show the actual length of the precast column.  You placed your dimension on the associated levels so the offsets will not change the length reported in the tag.  In my families I have placed the dimension on the column geometry itself and it works great.

Message 11 of 13

It Works fine on my side for Both OOB famillies Steel and Concrete with Revit 2014 but I guess it is better to select faces then instead. I will edit video. Thanks

Alaaeldin Alsahli

Message 12 of 13

Unfortunately the solution is not this easy. This solves a problem if you are not using any kind of connections for the column. For example if you add an end plate connection or use the Shorten tool from Steel tab this wont show the actual length. It shows the length you modeled in the first place. 

You end up having really much waste if you follow Revit schedules. 

Message 13 of 13
haydenwse
in reply to: KIMRAMFI

I have been using this technique for the past 7 years and it works great for me.  I adjust the column length with top and bottom offsets and do not use the trim tool.  The trim tool caused too many problems with weird dimensions and slopes that I do not want in the actual product. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report