Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

beam labelling and automatic schedule key

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Opel5
2360 Views, 6 Replies

beam labelling and automatic schedule key

Evening All,

I'm trying to deal with a pretty specific task but after many hours scouring google and youtube I'm pretty stumped. I'm new to Revit Structure. I've got an imported steel first floor 2D beam plan in my revit model which currently shows the beam types "203x203x46 UC etc". I need to do 3 things:

1) update the first floor plan, getting Revit to logically sort and update the beam labels from the above steel size into logical beam labels e.g.
B1 = 203x203x46 UC
B2 = 533x210x82 UB
etc.

2) generate (I'm hoping automatically) a logical reference table:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
beam label  |  beam size   |
B1              <beam sizes>|
B2             |                      |
B2             |                      |
etc            |                      |

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3) create a CAD DWG of this first floor plan incorporating the labelling logic and key table above.

If there is an app or add-in for revit that helps (I have the horrible feeling I'm going to have to do this the hard way but worth checking) please let me know.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! 🙂

Many Thanks,
Scott

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Opel5
in reply to: Opel5

Oh I'm using Revit Structure 2012 by the way if that helps too 🙂

Thanks

Message 3 of 7
Opel5

Hi There,

Well I've investigated creating a beam schedule but it doesn't seem to have any option to connect the schedule table of beams (as sketched above, B1, B2 etc) to the actual beam tags and there seems to be no post on this forum relating to it. Very suprising.

This must be a pretty sought after feature for drafting, does any exeprt on here know how to do the 3 step process I mentioned in the first post? Or is there an add-on that helps in this area?

Many Thanks,

Scott

Message 4 of 7
AJA14

Hi. I am not sure if I understand you completely but what you're trying to achieve should not be difficult. Usually, for tagging, if you can't find what you need you can modify an exisitng tag family and incorporate new parameters. If the parameter you need isn't there, then you can create shared parameters. These can also be used in a schedule to report your beam labels and so on. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Ali Al-Hammoud
Structural Design Engineer
MZ & Partners Engineering Consultancy
Message 5 of 7
Opel5
in reply to: AJA14

Hi AJ,

Many thanks for the tips 🙂 I'm guessing the main hurdle would be to get revit to perform step 1 in my first post. I can't find any option for doing it :(. I can add tag's manually B1, B2, etc for each beam but the objective is to get revit to logically and automatically tag B1 to all beams of a specific sizes, B2 to another steel size, and so on. If you can provide any advice on how to do this it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Scott

Message 6 of 7
AJA14

Hi, well, performing the first task isn't that hard. First of all, you need to use the Tag All Not Tagged and choose the structural framing and assign the correct tag to use. The main idea is that the tag family you choose is the one you need to apply to all these beams. Since the tag family may not exist already in revit you need to create one yourself either by starting from and existing tag or starting with a new revit family template. Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Ali Al-Hammoud
Structural Design Engineer
MZ & Partners Engineering Consultancy
Message 7 of 7
Opel5
in reply to: AJA14

Thanks AJ 🙂 I'll give it a go tonight

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report