Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to understand Shafts

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
471 Views, 4 Replies

Trying to understand Shafts

We are having a problem with the Shaft tool in Revit in our office, so I am trying to understand this tool more completely.  We have pipes running inside wall assemblies.  We would like to cut a hole in the wall assembly parts, floor, ceiling - everything that the pipe passes through.  Is there a certain workflow or recommended way of using the Opening tools that will help us with this process?

Thanks,
Jessica

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Joe.Charpentier
in reply to: Anonymous

The shaft tool will only cut floors, ceilings, and roofs.  It is more or less for stairs- though you could use it for vertical pipe chases.

The shaft tool will not cut other elements, such as walls or beams.  It also will not really work for horizontal openings.

You might try asking over in the MEP discussion group to see how  they approach the problem.

Joe

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Joe.Charpentier

Thanks Joe,

I've posted this question here, on the MEP board and the Architectural board.  So far, I'm getting more of a response from the architectural side.  My thoughts are that most Revit users are not modeling at a high enough level to where this is a major issue for them.  I may just have to spend some time playing with the tool when I have more time.

Jess

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

Try using voids.
Message 5 of 5
vasshaug

Definitely void families is the way to do this. You'll have to do the cutting manually (well, for all other elements than the host - wall or floor depending if it's a wall or floor based family), but you'll get your desired model level of detail.

Dark

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report