Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The future of Revit Structure Suite 2013

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
durentech
1812 Views, 7 Replies

The future of Revit Structure Suite 2013

After buying Revit Structure Suite 2010 and paying for subscription renewals continually since then, Autodesk has dropped Revit Structure Suite from it;s product line. My Revit Structure Suite 2013 is up for renewal in September 2012 yet Autodesk can't tell me what, if any, products they will renew at that time. My reseller doesn't know either.

My 2010 suite came with 3 programs...AutoCAD, AutoCAd Structural Detailing and Revit Structure. In 2011, 2012 and 2013 they stopped giving me AutoCAD so the 3 programs dwindled to 2 programs. I use AutoCAD 99% of the time in my business and I'm furious at the money I've wasted in subscription renewals already and perplexed as to why Autodesk can't give me a straight answer about the future of this Suite.

I would really like to hear from anyone else who purchased this suite to see what, if anything, you've been able to find out. Autodesk wants to get us to agree to some crossgrade into their Building Design Suites with enough software products to start a 3 ring circus juggling act. The cost of that subscription...try $1500...twice what I'm paying now for products I hardly ever use.  

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

AutoCAD Structural Detailing is AutoCAD with the detailing extension. Just toggle the one of the AutoCAD workspace displays and you will get a familir AutoCAD setup. You switch the workspace from the gear icon on the bottom right tray.

Arthur

Message 3 of 8

I appreciate your input but this is old news to me. I'm aware of how I can make ASD 2013 look like AutoCAD 2013 by putting the launch icon for ACAD.exe (found in the program files) on my desktop and setting up my workspace, etc. If you've done the same try launching ASD with the normal ASD icon, close it and then open AutoCAD (the ASD version that is) using the launch icon for ACAD.exe. You lose your workspace and it opens and looks like ASD 2013. Recovering your vanilla AutoCAd workspace just takes a few steps but I find it annoying nonetheless.

My main issue though is that even when you open vanilla AutoCAD with the ACAD.exe launch icon it says AutoCAD Structural Detailing across the top. Even Autodesk doesn't recognize this as AutoCAD although it looks and smells the same. So when i try to install an AutoCAD HDI driver from my plotter manufacturer I get an error message saying I don't have autoCAD on my computer.

I'd like to correct a statement I've made here and on other posts regarding the cost of subscription renewals for the Building Design Suites. I've been squaking about it being $1500 and it's actually more like $975. My apologies for misleading anyone that read this or my other posts and to Autodesk. 

Message 4 of 8
bog
Contributor
in reply to: durentech

I agree that Autodesk has been somewhat fuzzy with how they are treating their old "Hero" customers (I think that is how ther refer to us) I got a small resipite from the confusion by my reseller at Imaginit Technologies. He said that the Hero acounts may be transfered to the new versions free of charge or with a minimal fee. We are under subscription to Revit Structure Suite and we may get the new Revit 2013 suite in the next few months (rumor). I don't know if there are any benifits to the vanilla autocad, but having access to Revit Architecture and MEP should have some coordination benifits... but I cannot think of what they might be at the moment, perhaps Autodesk could clarify this.

Message 5 of 8
tstahlnecker
in reply to: durentech

We purchased AutoCAD Revit Structure Suite 2011 with subscription and we're now told that there is no upgrade option for this suite. Once again, Autodesk leaves us hanging with nothing. Sure, switching to Autodesk Building Design Suite Premium will get us new versions of the three peices of software we want and a bunch of stuff we don't. However, who's to say that they won't dump that suite within 3 years and leave us with no upgrade option once again? Can anyone say "Class action lawsuit?"

Message 6 of 8

If your subscription was current, you should have received an upgrade to Biulidng Design Suite Premium free of charge. (We did.) If it wasn't, you'll want to contact a reseller about the possiblity of a crossgrade/upgrade.

(I should clarify that "free" refers to the one-time conversion from AutoCAD Revit Structure Suite to BDSP. Our subscription fees will be going up incrementally when we renew.)

--
Kate Morrical
Digital Design Manager, Washington DC
BIMmuse.com
Message 7 of 8

The bone of contention that I have is that Autodesk has changed the game rules. When I bought my software, the upgrade situation was that I could wait 3 years and get a hefty discount on the latest version. That's now been robbed from me and I have no recourse except to send Autodesk a thousand dollars a year for their worthless subscription. Here, I have enough trouble with their software to begin with but the subscription adds more problems to my plate. Last time I had the subscription, the system began to claim that I had a subscription but didn't own any Autodesk software. Instead of one problem I now had two - a CAD program that wouldn't do what I wanted and then a subscription that wouldn't provide me with what I paid for. Autodesk's solution for this mess? Send them $3,337.82 so that I can enjoy the experience all over again for the rest of my working career. They have to be the most arrogant company on earth.

Message 8 of 8
durentech
in reply to: tstahlnecker

I started this thread in April of 2012 and couldn't understand why everyone was being so complacent about us getting the shaft. I guess I found about this before a lot of you. Mine is a different situation in that I never really use Revit Structure...I just got Revit Structure Suite because it contained my primary software (AutoCAD) and the other programs were something I wanted to learn to evaluate if I could implement them into my business. After months of complaining on different user group sites I got some satisfaction. Since I only used AutoCAD I managed to talk to people high up on the ladder who brought my case up for review internally and I was given a crossgrade (they had to call it something for their records) to AutoCAD 2013 for free...a Stand alone license that I can renew each year at a much more reasonable subscription fee than that of the Building Design Suite that they were trying to get us to "upgrade" to. Why would I want to give them twice as much each year for 7 or 8 programs that I wouldn't use in a gazillion years. I'll choose which programs I want, Autodesk...what is this...BUNDLE-EZE! 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report