Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steel detailing with Revit

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
olecarman
5600 Views, 6 Replies

Steel detailing with Revit

New the site, but here goes..  I am a steel detailer for over 25 years. I currently use 2D software that does a good job.  However I do have some customers wanting KISS downloads which most 3D softwares produce (not 2D).. I have looked at SDS/2 software, Tekla software, Advance Steel software, and they all 3 do well it seems, but due to the high price, I am now looking at Revit Structures in conjunction with Autocad Steel Detailing..  I see good reviews about Revit, but not so good about Autocad Steel Detailing which seems to have many glitches.. I have read some say to do your model in Revit and then transfer it to ASD..  I also noticed that SDS/2 has an add-on to Revit now called SDS/2 Connect which gives you many more connections in Revit..  Are there any steel detailers out there that can clarify the "worthyness" of Revit with ASD or ASD in general by itself from the detailing standpoint?  The price for the Autocad Design Suite Premium 2014 which includes both are well within reason price wise, but only if it works fairly well.  As most detailers no, the end result for us is the 2D fabrication drawings in the end.  The model to the customer really means nothing except a pretty 3D picture..  An evaluation by a steel detailer between Revit and ASD would be greatly appreciated... 2D fabrication drawings are the most important if the software will produce them with some resonable amount of work and not have to spend days doing clean up..

Thanks in advance for your time..

olecarman

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
muleman1
in reply to: olecarman

I have used 2000iLT for years and 3 yrs ago transitioned to 3D modeling with ASD. In my opinion, ASD has a learning curve the size of a rainbow, After hours and hours of screaming at my monitors, I finally have been able to create shop drawings similiar to the ones you see in tutorials....(in between crashes and ASD crashes alot)............I am trying Advance Steel now, just started, but it can only be better than ASD........there just dosen't seem to be any training for any of them, everything I can find is just generic, surface scratching content.....Bear in mind as you read my comments, I have no formal training of any kind, just a lot of experience. Good Luck !

....How easy it is to acquire knowledge, yet how difficult and painstaking is the process of gaining wisdom. .... Chuck Swindoll
Message 3 of 7
AJA14
in reply to: muleman1

Hi,

I have tried SDS/2 connect for the trial month and didn't really find it compelling. Maybe I need to clear my mind and take another shot at it to decide. After all, the first time using revit, I felt the same way.

Nevertheless, ASD is not a bad software but muleman is right (Huge learning curve) and I believe that Autodesk bought Graitec Advanced steel for a reason. I suggest you use that and I've heard some people doing great jobs with it.

Good luck.

Regards,
Ali Al-Hammoud
Structural Design Engineer
MZ & Partners Engineering Consultancy
Message 4 of 7
TrevN
in reply to: AJA14

I haven't used ASD but have been using Autodesk products for around 8 years now, prior to that I used Tekla for around 10 years. There's a reason why Tekla is a lot of money and ASD/Revit isn't. If you can stretch to Tekla I'd go for it as it's simple superb for steelwork, I wouldn't touch Autodesk with a bargepole if I could help it!

I know that probably doesn't help, but them the facts. 

Goof luck.

Message 5 of 7
AJA14
in reply to: TrevN

Hi,

Actually, Tekla is an excellent software but not very user friendly in my opinion. I suggest you try Advanced steel. It's a very promising software and now it's Autodesk. By the way, I've heard of people who are collaborating between Revit and Tekla. But you need to have compatible versions.

Regards,

Ali Al-Hammoud
Structural Design Engineer
MZ & Partners Engineering Consultancy
Message 6 of 7
lashmail

..gotta admit that I hear a lot more stories of guys 'coming back to Tekla' from Revit than the other way around.

The Tekla Revit links really are just to communicate between Tekla engineering and Revit architectural / MEP teams. The model between engineering and steel detailing is a different beast ( bracing centre lines , cutbacks etc ) - so it's a one way trip from Revit engineer to Tekla Steel Detailing ( from dream to reality 😉 ) Revit would be working hard to handle that level of detail on the round trip anyway even if there was some process that could understand what an engineer and a detailer need from the model

In think the cost shouldn't factor - there's no price to be put against good business processes downstream from your role who get to reuse you model for fabrication via CNC, co-ordination, erection etc - Maybe it's like people saying that Navisworks costs too much - I mean put a price on poor sequencing discovered too late - 10k maybe? Software paid for.
Message 7 of 7
muleman1

been using advance steel now for several months.....one word.......SWEET

....How easy it is to acquire knowledge, yet how difficult and painstaking is the process of gaining wisdom. .... Chuck Swindoll

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report