Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared File Access

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
419 Views, 1 Reply

Shared File Access

Are multiple users able to access a Revit(S) file and make changes to that file at the same time?

If yes, how do you coordinate something like that? How do you prevent user2 from changing something that user1 just did?

How are people using Revit(BS). Are the draftsman/CAD Techs doing all the "drafting", then they turn over the exported analysis model to the engineers?

Our office uses ADT, ACAD and LT. Engineering Tech use ADT, two copies of Acad and the engineers use LT, basically in read-only mode. The tech do the drawing, the engineers the design and analysis. How would this work if everyone had access to the Revit(S) file?

Thanks.
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Revit worksharing uses a feature called worksets to allow several users to work on the same project at the same time. I use a library as my metaphor for worksets where every object is a book and the Revit project is the library. I can borrow a book and read it and return it when I'm done. If I want to borrow a book that another person is reading I can ask them to return it so I can borrow it.

This concept of borrowing objects in Revit extends to everything, such as...views, columns, fonts, linetypes etc. No one can borrow the same object at the same time. Much the same as no one can edit a dwg file while I have it open except that with worksets I can actually just work on some of the contents of the "dwg" while others can too, very powerful.

When you model the structure you are building the analysis model at the same time, they are intertwined. There isn't anything to prevent you from delegating specific tasks to different staff, just a decision about who is best suited to do a given task.

A staff member could be adding columns, beams and braces while another could be adding notes and dimensions to another view of the structure. Obviously it would be best to finish the structural model before you export it to E-Tabs, Risa3D or Robot for analysis if you use those.

Download the demo and check it out!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report