Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit vs. Tekla Comparison Matrix

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
BIMAbhi
17111 Views, 5 Replies

Revit vs. Tekla Comparison Matrix

Can we get any comparison matrix between Revit Structure & Tekla Structure (Concrete & Steel)?

Thanks & Regards
BIMAbhi
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: BIMAbhi

In terms of size of 3D file, Tekla is significantly smaller than Revit.
Message 3 of 6
BIMAbhi

Basically we need a comparison matrix in a tabular format. The primary requirement is to identify the advantage and disadvantage of using the both software for BIM project aspects.

Thanks & Regards
BIMAbhi
Message 4 of 6
helsinki_dave

I'ld say that the answer depends on what your business is. If you essentially are consulting on structural design and then documenting that via paper - then that answer is different from a business which seeks to reduce duplication of work across the project from conception to implimentation to facility management.

What is mean is a that if your sole goal is to create drawings from the model , then Revit has great tools to fix areas where the Revit design model is incomplete. But then the drawing is goal of that workfow - and the end of what you can charge for. Tekla Structures models however are linked up-stream to a variety of A&D software and then down-stream to concrete,steel detailing and fabrication. So the model has a value - which isn't driven by the cost associated to a drawing.

A functionality comparison matrix probably wouldn't be the right way to make a good comparison - since comparing Revit Families to Components, Revit / Tekla rebar bending schedule export to machines, Revit / Tekla NC file creation is not really going to tell you much unless you are in the business putting a commercial value against these kinds of functionalities.

The business model is different, and the software is built to reflect that difference.

Be nice to know if others have thoughts on this too.

Message 5 of 6
nisunze
in reply to: helsinki_dave

Vague answer.
Message 6 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: nisunze

I use both regularly, but for different things. I am still attempting to create a workflow between the two, taking advantage of their individual strengths. Both are complicated, I have struggled with T#)#$ a little more than Revit. For example, it took me a couple of weeks to wrap my head around families, how to make them so they work effectively. I haven't figured out components in T#$# yet, and setting up Templates in T(*^) is a bitch.. Plus, i have no local peers that use T()*&) so getting help or gaining insight on a complicated specific question is difficult for the self starter.

Revit is more for architects, T(^% is more for detailers and maybe engineers. For example, you wouldn't detail or make shop drawings of a steel building in Revit (at least I wouldn't, but I bet people do). Likewise, you wouldn't schedule room colors in T()^*. 

In my view Revit is a much more versatile design software. But T(^(() does certain things well - steel detailing, precast detailing, weld parts, bolts, and counting all that stuff. One nice thing about T(*&%, BIMSight their 3D viewer is free, but so is TRUEView..

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report