Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renaming of revit file and moving or copying

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
redsox
2301 Views, 3 Replies

Renaming of revit file and moving or copying

When we set up a central file we put (central) after the file name as we have been doing in all of or revit models since 2009, now we are in revit 2012 and seem to be having problems Renaming the files after we name it with the (central) and than make local copies on to or own local computers and rename the file with or initials IE; (JWM) after the file only one person can do it after that no one else can make a local copy and rename it with there initials.this only happens in 2012. does anyone know why this is and what can be done to fix it?. this is how we have been doing it with no problems in any other version and we all can work in or local copies and sync to central, now we have this problem.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Joe.Charpentier
in reply to: redsox

What kind of error are you getting when you try to copy the file or rename it?

Is it a windows error, or an error in Revit?

R2012 added a feature where if you open the central file directly (from within Revit's file open, not through drag and drop or double click) it automatically makes a new copy of the file on your computer.

As far as I know, that's the only real difference with file sharing in r2012.

More details about the issue that you having may help.

Joe

Message 3 of 4
redsox

it isn't an error it just freezes up, it won't rename and if you try and just copy it and put it in your local drive it just freezes up also.somtimes it will let you copy it over but won't open. this is not just in this job but all or jobs in 2012. like i said we have no problems with any other version of revit and we are using 2010, 2011 & 2012 with 12 being a big problem when it comes to nameing or files.

Message 4 of 4
Joe.Charpentier

I've seen this happen where there is a Windows Explorer process locking the file.

The workaround in r2012 would be to open the Central file directly in Revit and then rename (or move) the local file that  is automatically created.  Don't go through Windows.

You can also use Lock Hunter to unlock the file, then you can move or rename it- however, it may get locked again.

www.lockhunter.com

(I've had to unlock the file twice before I could rename or move it)

If you are a subscription customer, you should definitely contact support to open a case.

You may be able to provide additional information to them that could help resolve the issue.

Joe

EDIT:

Also see the following Revit Clinic posts, which could provide more information or a better solution:

http://revitclinic.typepad.com/my_weblog/2011/11/revit-file-thumbnail-previews-do-not-display-in-win...

http://revitclinic.typepad.com/my_weblog/2010/02/thumbnail-previews-and-locked-files-in-windows-expl...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report