Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random Crashes in Revit 2010

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
rgvjr
1294 Views, 10 Replies

Random Crashes in Revit 2010

About a week ago after we installed a subscription update for Revit Structure, we (all our 3 seats) have been getting very random and patternless crashes that comes without a warning or option to save the file. Revit just disappears. We tried the route for graphics driver updates and memory upgrade to no avail. We used the suggested 3G switch in the boot.ini file to no effect as well.

Is anyone experiencing the same problem?

Revit 2010 looks very unstable to my experience so far.

Thanks
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Joe.Charpentier
in reply to: rgvjr

First thing to do when you have random crashes: update your video driver.

Are you sure you have the latest?

Joe
Message 3 of 11
rgvjr

Absolutely. As I said, first route we took.

Never had this sort of problem before the subscription update for the added functionality.
Message 4 of 11
kyle.sutherland

My office is experiencing this behavior also. It doesn't seem to be platform specific. Happens in XP or Vista, 32 bit or 64 bit.
Message 5 of 11
aksha

If you have Dwg TrueView installed, try un-installing it.
Message 6 of 11
rgvjr

It seems to be a memory issue and Autodesk has been silent about it. We have a Windows 7, 32 bit installation that seems to be working fine.

Ramon
Message 7 of 11
sanjaydesai7744

Good to know. I had a problem of AutoCAD cosistantly hanging up especially while zooming in/out with mouse wheel after I installed Dwg Trueview. Since un-installing it, it hasn't crashed once.
Message 8 of 11
jbenedetto

I've been having the same problem. No error message, option to SaveAs, or anything. Revit just disappears. I suspect it is somehow related to Autodesk license manager...

jb Edited by: jbenedetto on Mar 26, 2010 12:48 PM
Message 9 of 11
ndsmaug

Our office has definitely noticed the same thing. 2010 is very "moody". You can be mid command and poof! The whole thing goes away. No warning. For no apparent reason. Fatal Error messages are much more common with this version as well. My favorite is when it "can generate this view, view will be closed" comes up. This is the signal that you not only can't work any more, but you can't save any more either. Your only option is to crash our without saving, leaving your local file useless since it then becomes incompatible with the Central file. We too have updated and believe it's a memory issue. Personally, I've started restarting my machine multiple times a day, in an effort to periodically free up some memory, but it doesn't seem to help.
What is going on?
Message 10 of 11
nelly302

same issue here, it was fine until the latest revit update about 2 weeks ago.
now i can't work at all, because it crashes and i can't save my work.
i updated my video card driver, i have enough memory now im stuck!
Message 11 of 11
Joe.Charpentier

Is Revit crashing on startup?

If so, you may want to look at this thread:
http://discussion.autodesk.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=774015

You could try two things:

UI State.dat may be corrupt- More information on this is here:
http://revitclinic.typepad.com/my_weblog/2009/04/revit-2010-ui.html
or here:
http://dorevit.blogspot.com/2010/04/revit-10-crashing-uistatedat.html

Short answer:
To reset the ribbon and Quick Access toolbar, rename or delete the UIState.dat file located in the following folders:

For Windows XP:
%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Autodesk\Revit\Autodesk Revit Structure 2010

For Windows Vista/ Windows 7:
%LOCALAPPDATA%\Autodesk\Revit\Autodesk Revit Structure 2010

Or a CommCenter file may be corrupt: From the information here:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=15145616&linkID=9243099

This can occur because of a conflict with a Communication Center file. Delete the following file, if present on the workstation at the following location:

Windows XP

Autodesk Revit Structure 2010
c:\Documents and Settings\%USERNAME%\Local Settings\Application Data\Autodesk\Revit\Autodesk Revit Structure 2010\ENU\Components\WebServices\WSCommCntrData.xml

Windows Vista \ Windows 7

Autodesk Revit Structure 2010
C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Autodesk\Revit\Autodesk Revit Structure 2010\ENU\Components\WebServices\WSCommCntrData.xml

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report