Revit Structure

Distinguished Contributor
bjur
Message 1 of 4 (285 Views)

Printing to single pdf file...sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't

285 Views, 3 Replies
12-03-2012 04:16 PM

I've been using revit for at least 10 years now and this issue might just make me go postal.  It's been in every version I can remember.  For most projects, I like to have a PDF set of drawings made along with the paper versions.  When printing to file, revit give us the option to:

1. Combine multiple selected views / sheets into a single file

2. Create seperate files....

Many times, usually when I'm on a major deadline, Revit will print to file each drawing to it's own seperate file, even with the "Combine" check box selected.  Once you started the printing, you have to hit cancel for each sheet.  As my projects get bigger (more sheets), the more times I have to hit "Cancel" when Revit thinks that even though I told it to print to a single file, that "No you actually wanted to print the 124 sheets to their own seperate files".

It doesn't matter what PDF printer I use.  Acrobat, cutepdf, PDFcreator...etc.  Same problem.  I used to click the "Combine into multiple files" button 3 times before letting it print.  This seamed to work OK for a while, but now it's hit or miss.  Seams like the print dialoge user interface is not reading the value of that selection correctly.  If anyone knows how to finaly solve this issue, I'd be gratefull...and I won't need to go postal afterall.

*Expert Elite*
CADastrophe
Message 2 of 4 (272 Views)

Re: Printing to single pdf file...sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't

12-04-2012 05:45 AM in reply to: bjur

I have found that this is caused if the last place that the user clicked was in the Project Browser or if the current View is non-printable (i.e. a Schedule View). Prior to printing, be sure that you open any printable View and click anywhere inside that View to make it the 'active window'. Following this procedure, I have never had this problem again!

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
bjur
Message 3 of 4 (264 Views)

12-04-2012 09:48 AM in reply to: CADastrophe

Thanks I'll give it a shot.  I'll reply back once I've tried it for a while.

DParkRMAK
Message 4 of 4 (159 Views)

12-05-2012 11:36 AM in reply to: bjur

I used to have this problem with Revit arch but it hasn't happened to me with RST. I used to use PDF-redirect for printing and binding many sheets and it is very reliable and easy to use.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Revit Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Revit helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Revit

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Youtube