Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moment connection symbol in Revit Structure 2013

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
jjenkins
8221 Views, 9 Replies

Moment connection symbol in Revit Structure 2013

The Moment Frame connection symbol is a solid black triangle, the Cantilever Moment symbol is a white triangle with a black hairline border. In previous versions when a beam with Moment Frame connections was in a plan under a floor this is how the symbols display. In Revit Structure 2013, Moment Frame connections on beams under a floor now look like the Cantilever Moment connection.

Has anyone discovered how to make Moment Frame connections in a plan under a floor display correctly in Revit Structure 2013?

Is a fix in the offing?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
AJA14
in reply to: jjenkins

Go to Manage > Settings > Structural Settings and in the symbolic representation dialog on the right, for connection symbols, choose the symbol you want or load a new symbol. You may also create a new symbol to your liking.

Ali Al-Hammoud
Structural Design Engineer
MZ & Partners Engineering Consultancy
Message 3 of 10
ddow
in reply to: AJA14

His symbol is loaded. I'm having the same issue.

If you hide the slab or deck, the moment symbol shows solid, show the deck or slab and the symbol goes hollow again.

This link below is a good description of what is happening, but I couldnt get a fix out of it...

See how 1 end is solid and 1 end is hollow? Its not becasue 1 end is Moment and the other is Cantilever, they are both Moments, but one end is covered by a slab.

http://revitworkflow.blogspot.com/2009/10/framing-moment-symbol-did-you-know.html

I've already tried reloading the moment symbol, but that didnt work.

Message 4 of 10
AJA14
in reply to: ddow

Hi, I tried what you are saying but my results are consistent. Please see figure.

MOMENT CONNECTION.png

As such, I don't know what is happening with yours. However, I just want to point out that I have updated SP1 and SP2 and maybe this solved the issue. I never actually tried this before updating. Otherwise, it could be related to patterns, but if that was the case, i would have received the same results. P.S.: I just created this using the standard structural metric template provided by revit 2013. Regards.

Ali Al-Hammoud
Message 5 of 10
AJA14

I see what you're saying. I changed the surface pattern for structural framing to invisible and now the solid fill is again. See picture below. MOMENT CONNECTION2.png

However, it seems to happen to both the symbols, below the slab, and when not hidden behind anything. And this happens if you are in hidden or wireframe. Change to shaded and they are solid again. So I think this is an error in revit that needs fixing. If anyone has ideas, they would be appreciated.

Ali Al-Hammoud
Message 6 of 10
ddow

This is a different problem all together. Its not a "Hidden" thing.

I see you can make it hollow or filled, but can you make ONE symbol half solid?

It a slab is cut on the center line of your beam, half of the symbol is hollow.

See pic...

See the upper beam is completly un-covered by the slab (Solid fill moment connection)

The 2 going left to right are half covered and the bottom beam is completely under the slab, which is why its holow.

ALL these symbols are set to Moment solid filled.

So where is the issue?

Some sheets will show this way, some will not. All the time they all have the SAME sheet template!

It makes no sense...

I've used Revit since Revit beta 2. I'm not doing anything differently then I've always done.

All settings are the same as all my other projects. I can only think this is a bug of some kind.

Capture.3JPG.JPG

Message 7 of 10
Joe.Charpentier

This is an issue with filled regions displaying beneath other elements when there are linked elements in the view.

This issue is fixed in the latest version of Revit 2013 (UR2).

Can you get the latest version and see if it helps?

Regards,

Joe

Message 8 of 10
ddow
in reply to: Joe.Charpentier

SP2 fixed this issue. 

I tried to upgrade to SP1 a while ago, but it kept freezing. (or so I thought).

This time I didn't bother with SP1, I went right to SP2. It hung up for about 15 min's but it did finely finish.

Maybe I didn't give SP1 enough time to finish last time I tried it.

Thanks for the help.

Message 9 of 10
jjenkins
in reply to: Joe.Charpentier

Joe, Unfortunately I am between employers and thus have no access to Revit 2013. Looks like ddow has a firm grasp of the issue, perhaps he will test UR2 for us? Thanks, /Jim/
Message 10 of 10
Joe.Charpentier

Sorry to hear that, Jim. If you want to keep your skills sharp, you can download most any Autodesk software for a free 30-day trial. Joe

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report