Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Model in Real World Coordinates

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
acantos_arup_uk
2771 Views, 2 Replies

Model in Real World Coordinates

I want my model to be in real world coordinates...lets take one coordinate i.e. N 2762203.05 / E 462836.5....you can notice that is too way far from 0,0 and as I go far from 0,0 my model looks distorted. Does anybody incounter also this kind of problem? is there any other way for my model to be in real world coordinate. I am using RS2008

Any help would be greately appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Allan Cantos
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

You want to look into "Shared coordinates".

Everything I have read says you should model as close to the origin as you can, if you want to avoid errors.

Joe
Message 3 of 3

Couple of points to mention here

There is a tolerance range within Revit that I believe is listed at around 7.5km. It doesn't mean that CAD files beyond 7.5km from 0,0 won't work but there are inaccuracies involved and it can be un-realiable.

The second issue is the Graphic Display of CAD files in Revit - sometimes as you scroll in and out of a view a Grid Line from the CAD file will appear to move left and right of its centre point. It looks poor close up but it's usually an unmeasureable amount.

The more accurate way to use Revit is as follows

Place your model somewhere in the centre of your opening view (between the Elevation Markers).
Import your CAD file into Revit
Move CAD File to required location & Rotate it to an Orthogonal direction, if possible.
Then use "Aquire Co-ordinates" and Select your imported file as the Target.
When you Export your Model there is an option to use Project Internal or Shared Co-ordinates, the Shared option should export your model view to its correct location.

I have also pasted this extract from the AUGI site (See Below)

Regards

Jim
Jim Williams

CADtools Revit Support
Tel: 53169
Fax: 53673
Arup people profile http://ovanet.intranet.arup.com/arup_people/personal/personal_profile.cfm?ref=11570

Re: Shared Co-Ordinates

This method should ALWAYS be followed. It is critical to follow when the survey coordinates of your building site have large values (> 2 miles/3km from site 0,0):

ALWAYS locate sites underneath buildings. Revit buildings like to stay near home and be oriented to project north. Sites can wander about and talk to the buildings later. DON'T try to pan your view 40 km northeast of 0,0 and try to build your building model there because your site coordinates have a remote origin. This will work in AutoCAD but in Revit you will be very unhappy.

NEVER import or link a site with large coordinate values Origin to Origin! This may seem correct based on AutoCAD experience, but here too you will be very unhappy in Revit. You will get the correct origin later in the process.
Build your revit model at or near the position of the elevation marks in the default template with the building oriented orthagonal to your desired printing frame. i.e. use a Project North not True North for your working environment.
For one building on a site:
Link in a site model or site dwg.
Move and Rotate the SITE so that it is located correctly relative to the building.
Acquire the site's coordinates. Now, the site's origin will be the origin of your shared coordinates. The site's Y axis will be True North. The site coordinate values can be arbitrarily large without disturbing Revit's internal calculations.
You can later open the site model and link in the building using shared location and it will land in the exact position.
For multiple buildings on a site:
Create a Site project, link in a site dwg, placing the center of the building site near the center of the default view.
Acquire coordinates from the site.
Build any site elements, topos, etc.
Link in building rvts. Move and rotate them so that they are correctly located on the site.
Publish coordinates to the rvts. Now all models will have the same Shared origin and True North orientations.
You can now link the site into any of the buildings (the other buildings can be linked in as well) using shared location and it will be in the exact location.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report