Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue on one workstation with an rvt file, crashes when opening!

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
ukdxb012
1119 Views, 6 Replies

Issue on one workstation with an rvt file, crashes when opening!

Hi there,

We have experienced an isolated issue on one of our workstations. Basically we have a 180mb rvt file that when i open on my machine i get the following pop ups while the file is opening...

Copied central Model > Close

Macro Security Alert > Tried both diasble and enable but doesnt seem to affect

Cannot find Central Model > Close

Unresolved references > Ignore

Apart from that the file opens ok, but just to be safe i got 6 others to open the file and confirm this. However, one user we have has an issue opening the model. When they open the file Revit simply crashes out around about the time it asks for where the referenced files are... Also the list of files it mentions in the reference is different to the list i get even though its the same model but on different machines.

The user that is also having the problem can open the model fine on another machine so this makes me think that something is set up wrong in terms of the Windows User Profile or Permissions?

Have any of you come across this?

One of our main users has logged onto the machine and they get the same issue... Also in the Journal file an exception is called as soon as the resolve reference file option is selected.

Could this be a red herring as it happens on other file > open options.

I have attached 2 Journal files from 2 users if anyone wants to take a look?

Regards,

Duncan

Duncan Brannan
UK/EMEIA CAD Operations Manager
Twitter | LinkedIn

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Joe.Charpentier
in reply to: ukdxb012

Looks like you have a lot of add ons and extenstions installed.

Is it possible that this one workstation has a different combination of extras than your other ones?

You could attempt to rule out the add-ins by temporarily commenting out add-ins one-by-one.

If you rename the files in this folder (for example, rename them from "XXXX.addin" to "XXX.addin.old") you should temporarily unload each addin on startup.

Let us know how it goes. 

Joe 

Message 3 of 7
ukdxb012
in reply to: Joe.Charpentier

Hi Joe,

Which folder would that be? From your post i cannot see where i should be looking? I will try your suggestion but the user has the same add-ins as anybody else within our Company. All installed in the same order.

Also the add-ons tend to be mainly Autodesk add-ins apart from one or 2 analysis plugins.

Do you know what the error could be?

Regards,

Duncan

Duncan Brannan
Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 4 of 7
Joe.Charpentier

Oops, sorry:

The add-ins files live here:

C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Revit\Addins\2012

Joe

Message 5 of 7
ukdxb012

I will give this a try tomorrow to see if we can at least open the file but im not sure this will resolve as the user has the same things loaded as myself...

Regards,

Duncan

Duncan Brannan
Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 6 of 7
ukdxb012

Hi Joe,

I removed all the addins in the following location... C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Revit\Addins\2012 however it made no difference as to the error we are having. Do you have any other suggestions?

What is the exception thats happening in the Journal files i attached?

Regards,

Duncan

Duncan Brannan
Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 7 of 7
ukdxb012

FYI we have solved the issue.

The issue is related to a ~.snippet file in the VSTA install, as i understand, this is a temp file packaged in the installer and Deployment Image. If this file is missing it kills the loading of Revit Structure.

Unfortunately we dont replicate temporary files on our replication drive for deployment images which is why this error occured, however the error wasnt flagged when the install takes place silently so we werent aware of it.

My question is, why do you package temporary files in your packaging / deployment images as this causes issues for us deploying software if they are missing...

We have had this issue before with Thumbs.db, *.bak files and now files with a ~ in it. Is there anyway you can stop this from happening in future releases of software? Obviously we can turn on replication for temporary files but we really shouldnt have to replicate temporary files that shouldnt be there as part of the package.

Could you please feed this back?

Regards,

Duncan

Duncan Brannan
Twitter | LinkedIn

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report