Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intersecting foundations with weird shapes

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
stgauss
1509 Views, 4 Replies

Intersecting foundations with weird shapes

Hello,

Just starting out with Revit, been working on it for a few days. I have the following difficulty, wondering if someone has solved it:

I'm modelling a series of foundations, which are irregularly shaped. They're inverted T, but with slopes on the sides. I didn't have much luck with the wall foundation tool, since not all these foundations carry walls on top. Isolated foundation also didn't really work, since I would need to define a length for each foundation which is a pain.

So I solved the problem by using beams. I created a family (using a beam template) and set the parameters so I could model most of the foundation geometries. Then I put the beams on my base level, and used offsets to get them to the right depth. 

Only problem is, the intersections mess up at the corners, as you can see in the picture. On the corners, the elements simply disappear. Ideally the corner should be a triangular cutout: one beam inserts into the other in a triangular shape. In the worst of cases, I could settle for the foundation simply stopping at the edge of the other foundation, or a 45 degree intersection. 

How would I go about correcting this, to get any of the above options?

foundations.jpg

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
KateMorricalTowne
in reply to: stgauss

Revit version? Have you tried the Beam/Column Join tool (on the Modify tab)?

--
Kate Morrical
Digital Design Manager, Washington DC
BIMmuse.com
Message 3 of 5
stgauss
in reply to: KateMorricalTowne

I'm on Revit 2014. Beam-Column join got it to an acceptable point. 

foundation.jpg

Here's what I'm looking to do, ideally (done on another modelling program):

foundation3.jpg

Message 4 of 5
haydenwse
in reply to: stgauss

At the corner use the "beam/col joins" tool and set the join to "miter".  At the "T" intersections, extend the stem to the centerline of of the cross beam using the "start/end extensions and then use the coping tool with a cope distance of 0".  I have made a short video at the follonwing web site that shows this join using a precast inverted T beam.  Your beam will behave in a simular fashion. http://screencast.com/t/ifRqmJekFuk

Message 5 of 5
sensiblehira
in reply to: haydenwse

I can' get access to the solution you posted...I am facing a similar problem can any one give provide a solution which will be easy to access?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report