Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internal floor slab thickening, technique?

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
ccurley
16892 Views, 11 Replies

Internal floor slab thickening, technique?

Hi,

I was wondering what the members of the community are doing to generate internal floor slab thickenings, i have seen this method..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th6A_WJ5Q9k

I found it informative but slow and laborious for my model (which has multiple internal slab thickenings centred under load bearing walls. 

What method are you guys using?

Chris.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
ccurley
in reply to: ccurley

So i think the best solution is to make it a beam.....

My issue now is that the beam lines are not showing dashed on the floor plan??

Message 3 of 12
ccurley

okay so i tried the -Show Hidden lines, but that has not appeared to work. 

The soffit of the slab and the top of the beam are the same level.

Any suggestions?

Message 4 of 12
ccurley

I was able to sort out the hidden line issue. I had 2 slabs on top of ech other, STUPID ME.

So it turns out whilst this is okay for under single striaght walls, it's not the solution for me when it comes to a chain of walls. My logic is to go with a foundation wall as this can follow the profile of the chain of walls, my problem is I'm not sure which of the family templates to start off with for creating this type of family.

On this family issue. Please can somebody recommend which templates should be used for which type of element and which type of lines, sweeps or extrusions should be used also.

Chris.

Message 5 of 12
haydenwse

Wwhat I have done is to just use the regular wall footings with a type name like "THK. SLAB FTG. 1'-4"xCONT.".  I then make the bottom of the wall at 1/128" below the slab eleveation.  that way the footing is below the slab and shows as hidden.

Message 6 of 12
ccurley
in reply to: haydenwse

thanks for the reply...

I need to show a tapered sbalb thickening and i'm just struggling with using a modified family profile. I'm new to this but i have created several slab edge families successfully but cannot seem to grap the method for regular wall footings...

Chris.

Message 7 of 12
haydenwse

The first question I would ask is do I really need to model the footing with the tapered sides. 

If the honest answer to that is "yes" than the first method using the slab edge is probably the best that you can do.  The wall footing is a system family so there is no ability to change anything that is not provided by Revit.  You are stuck with rectangular sections using that method.

If the answer to the question is "no, I just need the footing size for the footing schedule" than my method will work fine.

I model almost everything so my answer to the genaric question of should I model this is almost always "yes".  In this one case I make the exception.  My compromise is that I have a parametric 2d detail family that I overly on my sections that gives me the "appearance" of a sloped footing.  The detail family uses filled and masking regions to produce the proper look.  

Message 8 of 12
tim.knappSO
in reply to: haydenwse

I model these all the time.  I use a slab edge.  I have a parametric profile family that I use.  The trick is that you have to put in a "model line" on the slab to host the slab edge to.  I usually put the model line on a workset that is turned off by default.  What I like to do is since typically our thickened slabs are under masony walls or some other wall & it is usually centered under the wall, I will use the pick line function for lines & pick the center of the wall.  Also make sure your material is set to the same as your floor slab material so that they will join up properly. Hope this helps.

Message 9 of 12
ccurley
in reply to: tim.knappSO

tim,

Thanks for that, always the simple solution is the best. I am guessing it's no possible then to create a custom wall bearing foundation and use that method?

Chris

Message 10 of 12
tim.knappSO

@ccurley wrote:

tim,

Thanks for that, always the simple solution is the best. I am guessing it's no possible then to create a custom wall bearing foundation Smiley Happy and use that method?

Chris

Your idea is the same that I would like to see.  Don't know of any way to make this happen.  The only other option that I know of is "in-place families.

Message 11 of 12
ccurley

Well if I find a way to do that I'll for sure post the solution...
Message 12 of 12
jpctd

I was wondering if this allows you to add rebar to the thickening now also?

Im having issues adding rebar to my thickening, as it does not recognise it as a host.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report