Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to model a multitude of column shapes

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
stgauss
1936 Views, 2 Replies

How to model a multitude of column shapes

Typical scenario: you open a set of plans for modelling, and you find yourself with something like this:

104251-2.jpg

For one model, 55 different column shapes, each with its own dimensions and geometries. Typical shapes like rectangles, T's or L's seem easy enough. Just create a family and adjust parameters for each family types. But what about the rest? Those 15 leftover shapes that have a piece sticking out here, a cut there, a 45 degree on one end, whatever, and are completely non-standard? 

Would I have to create a new family for each of those 15 leftover shapes, and import 15 families into my model in order to have them available? Or is there a simpler way to do it?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
subhra_civil
in reply to: stgauss

Hi,

you have to create different types of family for each column shape. one thing you can do. you can use "create in place" family in your project. give them exact dimension. this is very much easier than create each different column family. when you create a column by using "create in place" kindly use "Structural Column" category. this will be helpful for BOQ extraction.

If any further query then please write to me.

Thanks & regards,

Subhradeep Sen

kolkata

India

Message 3 of 3
subhra_civil
in reply to: stgauss

you can also create 2 or 3 types different family which are more or less same shapes. use "of/on" parameter in family. i think it would me more helpful and time consuming for you. try with this process also. i think you know about the use of "of/on" parameter in one family.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report