Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can we tag Extrusions and Voids created in a family (generic model)?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
ro78
1494 Views, 5 Replies

How can we tag Extrusions and Voids created in a family (generic model)?

Is this even possible?

I need to tag a tube which is created with the extrusion tool in a generic model family (the tube is not a family itself).

I chose not to make a family of this tube because it seems not possible to CUT the tube in the main family to make it fit.

Revit Structure 2013 user
Tags (3)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
CoreyDaun
in reply to: ro78

No, one cannot Tag an Extrusion; it would have to be a Shared Nested Family. However, perhaps you can use a "proxy" Nested Family in addition to the Extrusion so that you have something to Tag.

The image below depicts a sample Family which contains a central "tube" extrusion which is cut by a Void. What I did was create another Family which consisted of a nothing more than a Model Line circle, marked the Family as "Shared", and loaded it into the main Family. I aligned it with the top of the Tube and used parametric constraints so the size always matches the Extrusion. Once loaded into a Project, It will appear that I am tagging the cylindrical Extrusion. The overlaid Nested Family is completely indiscernible from the rest of the Family's geometry.

SharedNestedFamily.JPG

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 6
ro78
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Thanks, that is a very good idea!! I might try that.
Is it true that a we can't cut a family inside the main family?

Message 4 of 6
CoreyDaun

I believe that is true - I've tried to cut Families within other Families, but it seems that the "Cut With Voids When Loaded" only applies when loaded into a Project.

Regarding your Family, is it not possible for you to create the "tube" as a separate Family along with the Void(s) that are cutting it?

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 6
ro78
in reply to: CoreyDaun

I think that can be one option too.

To be more specific: The tube is prestressed reinforcement from one beam end to the other end. The "hard" thing about it is that the beam ends are inclined.

At least I have two options now. The 2nd option is better because I would have more flexibility in visibility settings
Message 6 of 6
allerd.hobers

Just needed this for 2023. It now seems to be enough when you add lines in the void family and put that family as shared. Thanx for the tip

Allerd

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report