Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Growing Pains with RevitStructure

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
268 Views, 2 Replies

Growing Pains with RevitStructure

Another newbie here migrating from AutoCAD to Revit Structure.

I have gone thru the Getting Started exercises for concrete and steel projects which accompanies program disks.

I am also working my way thru the e-learning catalogue available by subscription.

I started a new project and imported an AutoCAD drawing as an underlay. So far, so good. I have a model with glulam beams/columns and wood 'i' joists, basic wall and foundation elements.

I now want to change some elements of the framing scheme (beams/columns) from wood to steel.

My template has been tweaked for Canada using CISC Tables.

When I do so, only a limited number of types for beam/column are available to me.

I want to use a W310x52 for a beam and a column and cant figure out how to add them to the family types from the database.

2 steps forward, one step back.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards,

Phil
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Joe.Charpentier
in reply to: Anonymous

Phil,
In Revit, each template can have as many or as few "types" of each "family" loaded, however, the default templates only have a few of the most common types loaded. As you get into Revit, you'll probably want to customize your template so that the stuff you use most is in there already.

If the size (type) you want is not already loaded, you'll have to load that type into your project from the family file.
On the file menu, select "Load from Library" (or "load family" I can't remember which), and browse through the directory structure until you find steel beams (probably under the "framing" directory. When you load the family, select the name of the family (don't double click on it in the open dialog) and there will be a list of all the available types in the bottom of the load family dialog.

Pick the ones you are likely to need to load them into your project.

Have fun,
Joe
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Joe,

Thanks for the reply. Back in the saddle again.

Regards,

Phil

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report