Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double counting of structural columns in linked file

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
inarchi
1538 Views, 16 Replies

Double counting of structural columns in linked file

Hello,

I have Documentation file in which are linked Structural model. When I create schedule of Structural Columns, I get strange results: Revit calculates correct number of columns, but it also makes another line in schedule with blank cells except Count column, in which are the same number of Columns. Maybe anyone know the answer why Revit is making this extra line?

PS.: In model file this schedule looks good.

Columns.PNG

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Does this blank line appear when the structural model is unloaded? do you have "include elements in linked file" checked?
Message 3 of 17
gregamhale
in reply to: inarchi

You may want to look at the setting for "Itemize Every Instance."  This is in the Sorting and Grouping tab of the schedule properties.  Then you can see every instance of the columns.  There is likely  property that is different between two of the columns that you are trying to schedule.  Also try opening a 3D View side by side with the schedule.  When selecting the column in the schedule, you should see it highlight in the model.

After going through this troubleshooting, does it resolve your issue?

Message 4 of 17

Hi,

Structural model is loaded. Yes, I have checked.
All elements in schedule is from the same Structural model.
Message 5 of 17
inarchi
in reply to: gregamhale

Hi gregamhale,

Thanks for answer but it doesn't work. When I highligthing that column in schedule,in the model the same column doesn't highlight.
It looks like ghost, because I have exactly 26 columns at all.
Message 6 of 17
gregamhale

did you check the box for "itemize every instance" to see if there were differences?
Message 7 of 17
inarchi

Yes:

Columns2.PNG

Message 8 of 17
gregamhale

I wonder if you might have some nested components in those column families.  The only way to check is for you to post your files.

Message 9 of 17
gregamhale

So this one has perplexed me.

When linking the file, it is always double-counting all of the objects from the linked file.  It's not just the structural columns.  I went extensively through the link settings and the phases and did not find the culprit.  I will note, that you should be careful when changing phase filters.  I recommend sticking with the default Revit Phase Filters.  These are enough to accomplish what you need and should not be "phase-specific" as you have them listed.  Also, these phase filters have to be exactly the same between linked files, otherwise they do not work in the linked file.  When you deal with multiple disciplines, it is very difficult to get them to adjust their standards.  So default settings work best.  You can add to them, but don't delete the defaults.  

I believe I've verified this is a glitch in Revit 2014 though.  I tried auditing the Revit 2014 file with no better results.  I then updated the files to Revit 2015 and the issue goes away.  That confirms to me that it is a glitch in Revit 2014.  I recommend that you submit the files to Autodesk Support to make them aware of the issue.  

Message 10 of 17
subhra_civil

Hi,

Please find the attached image file and see whether you have activated that option. Can be solved your problem with this.

Thanks & regards,

Subhradeep Sen

Kolkata

India

Message 11 of 17
inarchi

Thanks for your time and suggestions 😉

Message 12 of 17
inarchi
in reply to: subhra_civil

Hi, I know this option, but problem isn't here 🙂

Message 13 of 17
subhra_civil

Hi,

Can you send me your Revit file? or select a column blank row and go to 3D and see what object it is showing. From there you can also identify the cause of your blank row in schedule. Has the object created in "Create in Place" option???

Thanks,

Subhradeep Sen

Message 14 of 17

still happening as of revit 2019

Message 15 of 17
nilayrP9FLC

The double counting shows in the Revit schedule from linked items because you have two linked instances under one linked RVT.

nilayrP9FLC_0-1713248047838.png

And is most likely the link has been copied by dragging it while the CTRL button was pressed. Anyway, you need to choose the correct linked instance and delete the duplicate one.

For that, hide every link from Visibility Graphics just keeping the linked instance you want to delete. See the snap below.

nilayrP9FLC_1-1713248215131.png

Select the link, unpin it and hit just Delete.

Removing link entirely and relink again can cause more damage to your other schedules and annotations if you are calling out some items from link to host.

Message 16 of 17
Nader_ASSAF

Hi @inarchi,

Does your model contain phases?
A blank row could represent a certain phase with zero volume.

Check the phase in your schedule.

Regards,

Nader ASSAF

Message 17 of 17
M_Meshal

Hi @inarchi 
This problem may happen if there is a problem when columns were modeled, some times you will have invisible columns with 0 volume.
To solve this issue, you will need to schedule the invisible columns in the original model, then select them from the schedule and use highlight in the model, then delete them.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report