Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cutting Steel columns to a curved roof profile

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
1029 Views, 3 Replies

Cutting Steel columns to a curved roof profile

Afternoon

I am trying to cut steel columns (height) to a curved roof profile and I’m trying to do this the most economical way possible and avoid trimming individually (by eye) each column.

Does anybody know a tried and tested method for doing this?

I have also tried modelling a void to 'cut' through the columns but the void will not cut the column geometry.

To make matters worse, in this case, the plan layout for the columns is also curved so very few columns are on the main grid.

See attachment for section.

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Are those Refence Planes we're seeing.......if so, you can use them to trim/extend the columns.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

Hi Mike

Yes they are Ref. Planes (horizontal) placed by me and I am aware that I can use them to cut to (this is what I have been doing 'by eye')

As far as I know, you cant have a curved Ref. Plane so I tried to cut them using a curved void but that didn't seem to work.

The cutting line in this instance is the curved black 'continuous' line set 550mm below the green 'hidden' line

Does anybody have any other ideas?

Noel

Message 4 of 4
Joe.Charpentier

Do the columns need to be cut to matched the curve of the roof?

The "Attach" command (on the contextual tab when you have columns selected) allows you to automatically connect the top or bottom of a column to a roof or other reference.

There are many options for the attachment: Center (Location Line)/Maximum/Minimum intersections.  You can even have the roof cut the column (or vice versa) in certain cases. (The cut depends on join priorities: Steel will not be cut by the roof, but concrete will)

Contextual Tab

I bet that by playing with the options you can get what you want.

Joe

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report