Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7
Mazis
319 Views, 6 Replies

Cut

Does anyone knows how can i cut the extension of the beam which goes with slope to the column?(The beam is shown to the picture that i post.
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Joe.Charpentier
in reply to: Mazis

3 options:

Use the cut geometry tool to trim off the end.

If the beams are steel, you should be able to use the coping tool.

If you're using r2008, you could also sketch a beam opening at the end of the beam.

However, I would be suspicious of the fact that the beam and the column are not joining. Steel Beams should automatically cut back from their supporting column if they are joined. Concrete beams and columns should not cut back, but the beam geometry should be cut from the column geometry.

You may want to look into how accurately the structure is modeled, and make sure that end of the the beam lines are coincident with the columns.

Joe
Message 3 of 7
Mazis

Thank you Joe

You were right.It was wrong the way that i had drawn the beam.If concrete beams are joined with columns then they are automatically cut.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

As for wood beams and wood columns....I am modeling a post frame building (pole barn) with a pair of 2x12 beams spanning across the outside and inside faces of 6x6 wood columns at say 8 feet spacing. The top of the 2x12 aligns with the top of the column. The problem that I'm having deals with "aligning" an end of the 2x12 with either a face of the column or the center of the column. I do not see any "rhyme or reason" to accomplish this. I try to align the end of the beam with the face of the column and the end of the beam "mysteriously" moves to another location. I saw a thread very similar to this but I can't seem to find it.

BVPE
Message 5 of 7
Joe.Charpentier

Could you post a small example file in customer files for me to look at?

Joe
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

I do not know how to post a file to "customer files". I whittled away at my .rvt file but it is still more than 1.5Mb to attach it here. Can you give some guidance on the "customer file" upload. Attached are pdf shots of the scenario. I want to stop the left end of the 2 span beam at the left face of column "A". I also want to stop the right end of the simple span beam at the right face of column "D". Finally, I want to but (with 2 t's) the ends of the two beams at the centerline of column "C". The columns are 6x6's from the timber family and the beams are 2x12 dimensional lumber.

Help please.

Newish to Revit 2008 Structure.

BVPE
Message 7 of 7
Joe.Charpentier

Interesting image- it's certainly a "non-standard" framing situation (for Revit, anyway). For better or worse, Revit assumes that you want to frame everything center to center.

The customer files group can be found here:
http://discussion.autodesk.com/index2.jspa?categoryID=39

It's just a sepearate group that allows larger attachements.
When yo're done, post a link in this thread to your post over there.

Joe

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report