Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configurations layers Revit / CAD

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
EstruturaRevit
776 Views, 3 Replies

Configurations layers Revit / CAD

Hi guys,

I used the search tool but I couldn’t find any answer so I will put my doubts in here.

I’m installing Revit Structure on my company and the problem is that our structural designers can’t use the same template when modeling in Revit, so nowadays the models become a bit bad because we’re sending drawings in different shapes to our clients.

Today we make our projects in different structural analysis softwares that generate the basic for drawing in CAD and so we have today in AutoCAD a template with all layers and symbols necessary for our work pardon. So my doubt is if I can create a template with all the same configurations that we use in AutoCAD or if I can import from AutoCAD this template I have and use it in Revit.

These configurations are really basic ones like line types, section cuts indication patterns, level indication patterns , text fonts and naming and numbering of beams and columns.

I know that these are a lot of doubts and some of them probably won’t be answered but I thank you already for any help you could give me.

Best regards,

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
AJA14
in reply to: EstruturaRevit

Hi ,

This is the most difficult part of transitioning from CAD to BIM. The first step is creating a template. In essence, you (or someone qualified) has to spend some time (probably not less than a month) to create a company template with all the standards that are required. Eventually, this template has to be updated on a regular basis to get to a point where it is applicable and useful to your company.
Parts to include:
1- Object styles.
2- Visibility Graphics
3- View templates.
4- Standard legends
5- Standard Schedules
6- Standard drafting views.
7- Standard 2D Views.
8- Standard Tags, ...

Regards,

Ali Al-Hammoud
Structural Design Engineer
MZ & Partners Engineering Consultancy
Message 3 of 4

Thank AJA14.

I have the same opinion on the subject, that nothing in this level manages to come up soon, but I try to get it so I can simply initiate activities in the company I work for.

I appreciate the response and hope to contribute to the forum also, quamdo I get an answer to my question certainly share here so that more users to take this course.

Sincerely,

Matos, Rafael.

Message 4 of 4
quyv
in reply to: EstruturaRevit

There is no simple stransfer from CAD template to Revit in my opinion, even a very basic thing like font style. In my company I had to find "similar" text style which is ISOCPEUR in Revit to replace our "Isocp" in CAD to maintain the text thickness when print out.

I started with text style, create some line patern and line style trying to make it similar to CAD linetype. Mapping line thickness in line weight. eg: thinest line in CAD is Magenta Lines: 0.13mm the one in Revit I make is line weight number 1 : 0.13mm. You can do these setup in Manage / Additional Settings.

I also import some CAD details to get "Line Style" naming similar to the "Layer Name" in CAD. It helps when I draft details in Revit.

Second thing I play with is Title Blocks and all other objects style and family such as grid buble, section and elevation head and tail..... All of them need to be re-created in Revit based on what we used to do in CAD.

And yes, it takes time to make sure everything looks similar.

good luck.

Quy Vu

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report