Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Callout an area on an imported image

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
LLAL
1471 Views, 2 Replies

Callout an area on an imported image

We are in the process of compiling our standard details using already completed drawings  that we already have in pdf format that we converted to images for the purpose of importing into Revit.

We intend to create callouts of specific details in any given drawing. Each drawing has a mixture of general sections and specific referring details. We do not want to create separate detail views by redrawing etc.

Our process is

1) We import the image into a drafting view and label it appropriately

2) We then identify the specific detail that we want to callout and use the callout tool for that particular detail.

When we look at the callout view, the view is empty. When we try to drag the empty view onto a sheet, Revit confirms that the view is empty as empty views cannot be placed onto sheets.

Can anyone assist us with this problem?

We are willing consider importing the entire Autocad Layout view that has the drawing that we want, but we cannot find instructions to import an entire Autocad layout view.

All information we get keep pointing toward creating an Autocad file for each detail that we want, This is too time consuming for the size of our practice.

Can an entire layout view be imported to Revit?

Thanks in advance,

Eric

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
CoreyDaun
in reply to: LLAL

LLAL wrote:

"When we look at the callout view, the view is empty. When we try to drag the empty view onto a sheet, Revit confirms that the view is empty as empty views cannot be placed onto sheets."

I run into the same issue, but not just with images. I linked an AutoCAD drawing and even drew some Annotation Lines with the Callout's region, but the Callout View remained blank...

LLAL wrote:

"We are willing consider importing the entire Autocad Layout view that has the drawing that we want, but we cannot find instructions to import an entire Autocad layout view.

All information we get keep pointing toward creating an Autocad file for each detail that we want, This is too time consuming for the size of our practice.

Can an entire layout view be imported to Revit?"

You can either Link (AutoCAD equivalent of Xref) or Import (AutoCAD equivalent of Insert) an AutoCAD .dwg file pretty easily using the commands on the Insert Tab of the ribbon. Revit will initially look for valid object to import in either the drawings ModelSpace or PaperSpace, depending on what kind of View you are importing it into; If you are in a Sheet View, Revit will look at the Layout tab (to my knowledge, only the first tab is available), and anywhere else, it will look in ModelSpace. However, if Revit finds no valid objects to import, it will prompt you with a message that asks you if you want to import object from the other space instead.

Given the lack of success with Callouts in Drafting Views, I recommend the following alternative to creating all of your details as separate drawing files. Create a new Plan View (doesn't matter what Level is based on). Turn off all Model and Annotative Categories so that a blank View is left. Now Link (or Import) the desired CAD file, but be sure to select the option "This View Only" when browsing for the file. Now you should be able to create Dependent Views and crop them - that way all of your detail Views are organized together.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 3
LLAL
in reply to: LLAL

This is the best solution yet.

I had to bring in an image of the sheet to get it to work however. When I try to import or link the Autocad file, only model space comes in.

When I try to bring in the layout view (the view that has the details looking how thery are supposed to look), only the sheet comes in, and not the information in the viewports that populate the sheet.

I think I wll work with this solution though, but if Autodesk gets a way to import Autocad layout views with the viewports, that will be a winner.

Eric

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report