Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backward Compatibility

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
jun2lee
1248 Views, 6 Replies

Backward Compatibility

We upgraded our version of Revit Structure to 2012 and start using it for an on going project.  We found out that our fellow consultants on the same project cannot read our files since they are using the 2011 version.  How can we make our files backward compatible?  If not, how can we transfer our work from the 2012 version back to the 2011 version?

Thanks,

Jun Lee

Jun2Lee@aol.com

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
lzaras1
in reply to: jun2lee

Autodesk Revit products are not backwards compatible.

Once a project is upgraded, you will not be able to access it from a lower release product.  This will include cutting from one release and pasting into another release.

How difficult is it for your consultants to upgrade to 2012?  If they're on subscription, this shouldn't be a problem for them.  Otherwise, you may have to remodel back in 2011... Maybe you still have some back-up files from when it was in 2011?  That way you don't have to completely redo the project in 2011?

Maybe the folks at Autodesk might have some other suggestions for you.

Leanne Zaras, CDT, LEED AP
AutoCAD 2010 Certified Professional
Revit Architecture 2012 Certified Professional

Message 3 of 7
jun2lee

Thank you for your reply.  It is rather disappointing though, to think that revit 2012 user cannot interface with revit 2011 users.  It's more than illogical.  I did try getting to technical help directly from autodesk, but the website always reject my form.  We have a subscription with autodesk.  Any tips?  What should I put in the acess resource?

Thanks,

Jun Lee

Message 4 of 7
Ian_Bryant

Hi

You can export your file to IFC which they can open.

However all the views etc are not transported.

Message 5 of 7
arild

Hi!

IFC is crap in 2012, waiting for fix.....

Tags (1)
Message 6 of 7
haws24

I just started using Revit MEP last month and of course I purchased the 2012 version only to find out today when I sent my completed design to the architect that they use 2011.  I cannot believe that Autodesk would have absolutely no solution to this problem other than to export the file to a format that is almost useless.  It is also unreasonable for them to think that a company will transition their projects to the latest version upon launch of a new product.  Many companies have to test out software prior to deployment.  I am not sure what I can do to be able to get my model to my client.  If nothing else, give us a tool to enable revit 2011 to open revit 2012 files even if only read-only.  Microsoft did that with the docx format, why can't Autodesk.

Message 7 of 7
bog
Contributor

Hello,

This industry is based on coordination and collaboration. Autocad thrived because of its backwards compatibility. The stance Autodesk has taken on Revit of not allowing backwards compatibility is the most egregious showing of contempt to their users that I have ever seen. I thought the reformatting of the user interface to the arbitrary Microsoft ribbon was ridiculous, but this takes the cake.

Without the ability to save to a previous version, entire projects can be lost in translation. Exporting to IFC is not an option if you want to keep all the information that you input in the model - the whole reason you decided to use Revit in the first place! I understand not allowing translation to a foreign format but not allowing translation to previous versions shows complete and utter contempt to those who invested in the product to begin with.

Read this:

http://www.augi.com/library/myth-buster-revit-ifc

At this point I have taken the stance of 'if you can't beat them, join them'. I have no other options in order to collaborate effectively in my industry. This must be their plan for world domination, "You are either with us, or you are against us". What a great philosophy. Now how does that fit with collaboration? I really think Revit is a good program, I just wish Autodesk would stop making their user experience worse to the point of sabotage. All I can do now is try to make it better. PLEASE ALLOW BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY! -it is our only hope.

-Flabbergasted User

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report