Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arched beam for bridge

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
ro78
1356 Views, 8 Replies

Arched beam for bridge

Hi,

I'm trying to find out how to draw a arc shaped beam for a bridge in section view in precast concrete.

This is what I tried so far:

1. Created a new family: Metric Structural Framing - Beams and Braces.

2. Edit extrusion for the right beam shape.

3. Load into project.

4. Opened section view.

5. Modify beam.

6. Problem: can't draw beam in section workplane.

Revit Structure 2013 user
Tags (4)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
ro78
in reply to: ro78

I think i figured it out:

I have to create it with a "in-place-conponent", pick a grid as a workplane, and create it with the sweep function.

Before that I created a Family Profile where the beam shape (section) is created.

Correct me if there is a smarter way to do it (?).

Message 3 of 9
Joe.Charpentier

A standard Revit beam can be created with an arc shape.  In an elevation or section view, start the beam command.

In the draw gallery in the ribbon (The grid with all of the different options to create beams: lines, rectangle, arcs, splines, picking other geometry) , select an arc sketch method.

then you can draw a regular beam, using a standard profile.

Is there a reason that this would not be sufficient for what you are trying to do?

Joe 

Message 4 of 9
ro78
in reply to: Joe.Charpentier

I don't know why it didn't work at my first try.

I changed it according to your reply and that work too and better.

thanks again.

Message 5 of 9
Joe.Charpentier

It could be that your workplane was set incorrectly- that's an important part of making sure the beam is created where you expect, especially in an elevation view.

Glad I could help.

Joe 

Message 6 of 9
ro78

Do you know an easy way to chamfer the bottem ends of the arched beam? The ends will be horizontal.

Next thing is that i can't get to rotate a L-shaped beam so that the cut side will be at the other side. The way i do it now is: draw point B first and then point A.

Message 7 of 9
ro78

I cant get the bottem of the beam end to be horizontal (chamfer).

See attach.

Tags (1)
Message 8 of 9
Joe.Charpentier

What "structural material" (or "material for behavior") are you using to model the beam?  I would expect them to clean up automatically.

However, since the "opening by face" tool does not work on curved/arc beams (to trim the ends of the beam manually) I would suggest placing a void by face on the beam.  (this would require r2012 or newer.)

Joe 

Message 9 of 9
ro78
in reply to: Joe.Charpentier

At the end I used an triangular extrusion. This worked only when added in the family of the beam.

thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report