Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Analytical Model Error

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
pdodson622
2092 Views, 4 Replies

Analytical Model Error

I am in the process of trying to get our structural group moving towards using the analytical model in Revit more effectively to save us some time in the analysis.  We are happy with our Bentley products and use RAM Structure and RAM elements.  I have been playing with current models and am trying to find the issues that may occur and how to solve them before I teach the rest of my group.  I ended up starting a brand new very simple model from scratch and am having some issues with warnings.  I've gone through every node and everything appears to be dead on according to what I've read and watched in videos, but when I run a check, I get "Detected physical connection between Structural elements, but did not detect Analytical Intersection" at every single beam to column connection.  I am using Revit structure 2012.  Has anyone experienced this?  Is there one step I'm missing somewhere that solves this?  It doesn't happen at any of my joist to beam connections, only beam to column. 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Could you post an image, or better yet, maybe upload a Revit file somewhere that we can look at?

Joe

Message 3 of 5
pdodson622
in reply to: pdodson622

Here is a screenshot of what I'm seeing at one particular corner.  I can't get the revit model small enough that it'll let me post though. 

Message 4 of 5

Okay, I've reduced my model down to just 4 columns and 4 beams, and I didn't touch the analytical model, just let it default, and it's happy so far.  One thing I neglected to mention in my first post, is I'm trying to figure out what sloping the structure does to the model and how that affects the analytical model and also playing with beams that are set 2.5" lower to allow joists to sit on them.  My understanding was that if you have beams that are set below the top of the column, you have to adjust their analytical lines so that they still reach the top.  Is that not the case?  I've attached another screen print of what my model looks like now in elevation.  There are no joists, just one basic frame for a single bay.

Message 5 of 5

It really depends on how you set the projection of the analytical model elements for your beams and columns.

If the end of the analytical model of the beam touches a column analytical model, it is considered supported.  No additional adjustment is required.  You could change the projection or adjust the model to simplify your analysis if you'd like.

As for the column, I suspect that it is set to "auto detect" which limits it to the level.  If you change the "Top Extension Method" to "Projection" and "Top of Column", it will then extend up to the beam.

For joists, and other uniform offsets, I suggest that you use the physical model "z direction offset" so that the location lines remain snapped to the supporting beams.

Joe

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report