Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Align members - sloped roof

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
jaclyn
4912 Views, 4 Replies

Align members - sloped roof

Hello,

I seem to be having difficulty using the align function on a sloped roof and was wondering if anyone else encountered this problem. In the past when placing members on a sloped roof, I could use align to move a beam onto a grid-line while keeping the beam on the sloped plane. Now, this is not the case. After I select the grid, the align function won't even recognize the member. This has made it nearly impossible to make sure my model is accurate as it does not allow me to snap on any locations either.

Any thoughts?
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
jasonmccool8686
in reply to: jaclyn

Sure would be nice if somebody answered so those of us with similar frustrations might find a solution, especially those of us without any hair left to pull out.... Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 5
awes

Well, I don't have any hair left so I can perhaps help you. First of all I haven't had any difficulties as you have described.

Can you please describe how you place your member on a sloped plane. Is it a roof plane or reference plane that describes the slope. Have you preset the work plane to the sloped roof plane?

I usually place a member on a horizontal plane, then I make a section, draw a reference plane in the section view, choose member, right click and choose detach from plane, align to reference plane.

Regards, Anders

Message 4 of 5
jasonmccool8686

Let me preface all this by saying this is in Revit Structure 2013. Well, we have an existing model that we are trying to adjust the framing on. As usual, the slope has changed during the course of the project, and we need to adjust the existing framing to the new slope. We're finding it easier to delete the existing framing and place it like new than to modify it. Surely we are missing something here! We would normally draw a reference plane in section, name it, then pick it as the work plane to place joists/beams in plan view. Unfortunately, this roof slopes in 2 directions, so we figured out how to place the reference plane by cutting 2 rotated sections (in this case, rotate the first section 33.69° in plan view, then inside that section, cut another section and rotate it 4.294° so it's looking up precisely along the roof slope). Then we can place the reference plane in that 2nd section (which now no longer shows up on any views other than it's parent section because it's rotated) and use the reference plane for our work plane. However, we can't just "pick new work plane" for a joist or beam because it skews it all weird directions and makes a 10' long beam 60', and breaks all connections between this and any other beams framing into it. Just a mess. Are there issues in Revit when the roof slopes in 2 axes? It sure seems like it. We're pretty sure we've each used the align command to snap a beam to a reference plane in a section view before, and to snap it to a gridline in plan view, but no such luck here.
The other way we found to align to the bottom of the deck was to use "pick new work plane" and choose "Face" placement (only available in 3D view) and pick the underside of the roof deck, but then that causes problems later since that isn't a named reference plane and so it doesn't show up as a work plane option in other views. It also skews the beams strangely. We've been having to manually input offset heights on some beams because we just can't get them to work, and it's slowing us to a crawl. Not exactly how BIM was marketed.... But surely there's some technique we're missing here, because I can't see this being the way most people are having to use Revit.

Message 5 of 5
dmahan
in reply to: jasonmccool8686

try another workflow for Revit, I have had the same problems working with members attached to sloped work plane.

If you place your beams and columns on a flat level, then select all of beams, then change both start and end attachment type to distance. Now add your sloped roof revit object to this level.Ok to use architectural roof element by footprint, adjust roof shape for slope, valleys, and ridges. Now you can attach top of structural columns or bearing walls up to attach to roof slope. be sure to set column attachment justification to column midline. As you do this the beams will follow column lengths up to roof slope. And if the roof slope changes you will only need to edit the roof element object to change the framing. If you need to adjust framing members elevations, use z-direction justification, other and adjust member up or down. I have used this method for complex roof slopes with very good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report