Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

using 'Edit Family' causes "A serious error has occurred"

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
dtiemeyer
952 Views, 4 Replies

using 'Edit Family' causes "A serious error has occurred"

Frequently, when I select a family within my project, and use the 'Edit Family' command in the ribbon, Revit responds with:

"A serious error has occurred. The current action has been cancelled"

Any suggestions?

My other CAD is a Cadillac and I like to Revit to the Max!
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
CoreyDaun
in reply to: dtiemeyer

Sorry for the delay of response,

Some questions:

What version of Revit?

Does the error occur if you attempt to edit any family?

Is this a Workshared Project?

- If so, do other uses experience this issue?

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 5
dtiemeyer
in reply to: CoreyDaun

It has happened in many versions of Revit, up to and including 13. The error seems to be related to if a family gets moved/renamed since it was inserted into the project from which I try to run the 'Edit Family' command. Yes it is a workshared project.

Does anybody know if a Revit project keeps a link to the path & name of where a loaded family came from? And is there any way to make adjustments if a family gets moved or renamed?

Dustin
My other CAD is a Cadillac and I like to Revit to the Max!
Message 4 of 5
CoreyDaun

dtiemeyer wrote:
"It has happened in many versions of Revit, up to and including 13. The error seems to be related to if a family gets moved/renamed since it was inserted into the project from which I try to run the 'Edit Family' command. Yes it is a workshared project."

I tried renaming/moving some family files after they were loaded into a project, but was unsuccessful in replicating this error. Are other users running into this issue as well? Or, do you encounter this on every project - could it be a specific Family that is causing it?

dtiemeyer wrote:
"Does anybody know if a Revit project keeps a link to the path & name of where a loaded family came from? And is there any way to make adjustments if a family gets moved or renamed?"

I believe that the loaded families "remember" the location from which they were loaded, but they don't really retain any connection to the original Family file itself. Once a Family is loaded into a Project, it or the original Family file can be opened and edited without affecting the other - there's no dependence.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 5
Jrobker

@dtiemeyer wrote:

Does anybody know if a Revit project keeps a link to the path & name of where a loaded family came from? 

Well you might be out of luck on this one since you cannot edit family. The way you do this is through edit family. When the famliy file is open you hit saveas, and it will take you to the folder where the family was loaded from.

"It's hardware that makes a machine fast. It's software that makes a fast machine slow."

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report