Revit MEP

*R. Robert Bell
Message 11 of 30 (315 Views)

Re: upside down diffusers

08-02-2006 12:07 PM in reply to: DBokmiller
Zip the file. Size is limited, and so are extensions.

--
R. Robert Bell

wrote in message news:5256776@discussion.autodesk.com...
This forum won't allow me to attach the family.
I will check the xyz coords. It is an "out of the box" family, not one I
created.
Contributor
sinisia
Message 12 of 30 (315 Views)

08-02-2006 12:07 PM in reply to: DBokmiller
Could be our error in the Family then. What's the name of the rfa file? We can check it on our side in the original.
Contributor
DBokmiller
Message 13 of 30 (315 Views)

08-02-2006 12:10 PM in reply to: DBokmiller
Here is a zip of the family.
Square Supply Diffuser - Hosted.rfa
Contributor
sinisia
Message 14 of 30 (315 Views)

08-02-2006 12:17 PM in reply to: DBokmiller
Yup...looks like our bug. It's upside down in my install build too. We'll log that one and get it fixed. Sorry for the trouble.

Thanks Don
Employee
Jason Bishop
Message 15 of 30 (315 Views)

08-02-2006 01:00 PM in reply to: DBokmiller
CORRECTION:

Sorry about my initial reply - what I described is accurate, BUT not for the R1 released version :smileywink:. It seems that a limitation of R1 is that the ceiling grid is not recognized as an eligible face to host a face-based diffuser. This may be addressed in the next release.

As far as the problem with the diffuser being upside down, it seems that when the face-based diffuser is hosted by a ceiling (or a by a work-plane that is defined by a ceiling) the orientation of the diffuser is rotated upside down from it's defined orientation within the family - which is apparently why the diffuser is defined "upside down" within the family editor. It appears that when the diffuser is placed on any surface or plane not related to a ceiling, it will come in upside down in the project (which is "right-side" up in the family editor).

I looked at this a bit in R1 now and found a potential solution to the problem using R1 content.

Open ceilng plan mech view

Tools>Work Plane>Set Work Plane...

Pick a Plane -> select the ceiling grid

Insert the diffuser using the placement mode "Place on Work Plane".

This should insert the diffuser at the the elevation of the ceiling. When the ceiling elevation is changed, the diffuser will stay connected to the work-plane, which stays connected to the ceiling.

This solution requires one extra step (setting the work plane to the the ceiling grid prior to placement of diffusers), but all should be good after that, and the diffuser content that shipped with R1 should (hopefully) be able to do what you are trying to accomplish.

Please let us know if you still are having troubles.

Thanks.

Jason Bishop, PE
Contributor
DBokmiller
Message 16 of 30 (313 Views)

08-02-2006 01:28 PM in reply to: DBokmiller
Jason,
You were right. The ceiling grid is an eligible face, IF you are working in the 3d view. My main concern isn't with change in the grid elevation. I'm more interested in the diffuser aligning with the grid, which this particular family won't do. So I will just have to create my own diffusers for now. Thanks for your input, you've given me a better understanding of hosted families.
Contributor
DBokmiller
Message 17 of 30 (313 Views)

08-02-2006 01:33 PM in reply to: DBokmiller
Tony,
Thanks for looking into that. It's no trouble, I'm learning a lot here. Bob asked me to mention to you that this may be a good interoperability point. Looking at how the software is used by multi-discipline firms (like ours) as opposed to consultants. We are preparing a project template that will utilize worksets across the disciplines so that is what started my exploration of how the mechanical systems function.
Employee
Jason Bishop
Message 18 of 30 (313 Views)

08-02-2006 01:40 PM in reply to: DBokmiller
Don,

Have you tried using the align command and locking the diffusers to the vertical and horizontal grid lines? I did this and am able to use the R1 content and product to maintian the diffuser's alignment with the grid.

By the way, I actually was NOT able to have the ceiling as an eligible face in R1, even in 3D view (not sure how you were able to accomplish this?). My initial reply was regarding working with a current in-house build - I am able to place the diffuser on the ceiling in PLAN view (something which cannot be done in release 1).

Regards,

Jason

...another interesting nuance... if you actually select the entire ceiling grid and move it (use tab key until entire ceiling grid is red - not just one grid line) then the diffusers will maintain their location with respect to the grid, i.e they will remain "attached" to the grid, even if you have not locked them :smileyhappy:

Cheers. Message was edited by: Jason Bishop
Contributor
DBokmiller
Message 19 of 30 (313 Views)

08-02-2006 01:49 PM in reply to: DBokmiller
Jason,
I'm not sure I'd want to go through the aligning process every time I place a diffuser, especially since there are families that will do it automatically.

Not sure how I did it either. Our goofy architects must have made the grid in some weird way :smileyhappy: The attached picture shows placing (upside down) in a 3d view.

I am using Build 20060619_2300
Employee
Jason Bishop
Message 20 of 30 (313 Views)

08-02-2006 02:05 PM in reply to: DBokmiller
Good point :smileyhappy: Thanks Don for all of the feedback and insight. Your comments are very much appreciated.

Jason
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.