Revit MEP

Contributor
Message 1 of 30 (439 Views)

upside down diffusers

439 Views, 29 Replies
08-02-2006 06:18 AM
Ok, before you laugh, keep in mind I am electrical by trade. I am trying to use the Square Supply Diffuser - Hosted family in a Mechanical Ceiling view. When I place the diffuser it comes in on the floor, upside down. So I go to the floor plan, select the item and change it's elevation but it is still upside down. I'm trying to place a diffuser that is hosted by the ceiling grid.

Now you may laugh.
*David Haynes - Ideate
Message 2 of 30 (439 Views)

Re: upside down diffusers

08-02-2006 09:01 AM in reply to: DBokmiller
The issue of it being placed on the floor is how Revit Systems (this
version) does it - we hope for more in the next version. When I placed the
diffuser it came in correctly. See attached.

David Haynes
Ideate, Inc.
www.ideateinc.com

wrote in message news:5256019@discussion.autodesk.com...
Ok, before you laugh, keep in mind I am electrical by trade. I am trying
to use the Square Supply Diffuser - Hosted family in a Mechanical Ceiling
view. When I place the diffuser it comes in on the floor, upside down. So
I go to the floor plan, select the item and change it's elevation but it is
still upside down. I'm trying to place a diffuser that is hosted by the
ceiling grid.

Now you may laugh.
Contributor
Message 3 of 30 (439 Views)

08-02-2006 09:06 AM in reply to: DBokmiller
Thanks.
What does it look like when you open the family itself? When I open the family it is upside down. See attached.
Employee
Message 4 of 30 (439 Views)

08-02-2006 09:09 AM in reply to: DBokmiller
Is your project location set to somewhere in Australia by any chance? Your diffusers could be configured for global orientation to the wrong coordinate system.

(OK, done laughing now :smileyhappy:

This is actually an easy mistake to make when placing hosted families.

It sounds like you may not be using the correct "placement mode" for what you are trying to accomplish. When you select the "Air terminal" button on the design bar and then choose "Square Supply Diffuser - Hosted: " then 3 buttons should appear on the options bar, next to the properties button (you may have to hover over the active view to make these buttons appear). The 3 buttons are for:

1. Place on Vertical Face - this mode will place the diffuser on the Host Face that you select, oriented vertically, at the defualt elevation of the diffuser (4ft in this case). This mode is intended primarily for placement on a wall. Note: if you select the ceiling grid as the host, the difusser will be placed oriented vertically at the (x,y) location you selected on the host(ceiling), but at the default elevation of the diffuser family.

2. Place on face - This mode will place the diffuser directly on the host face at the the location that you select. Default elevation is not applicable in this case.

3. Place on Work Plane - This mode will place the diffuser on the current work plane at the (x,y) location that you select.

I suspect that you probably used Mode 3 (Place on Work Plane), and that your work plane is located at floor level. The easiest way to place the diffuser on the ceiling grid is to use mode 2 (Place on Face).

Hope this helps.

Jason
Contributor
Message 5 of 30 (439 Views)

08-02-2006 10:15 AM in reply to: DBokmiller
mmm.........kangaroo burgers.......

To place it on a face (the ceiling) I need to be in the 3d view instead of the Mechanical Ceiling Plan view. And yes, still upside down. Also, this type of family is not ceiling hosted, so if the grid moves the diffusers do not. I've taken to creating my own from a ceiling hosted family template.

I'm considering putting ceiliing hosted air terminal families on the wish list, but by the time they come around I will probably have made all that I need. Guess that's the trouble with a software release with very little content.

Thanks for your help!
*R. Robert Bell
Message 6 of 30 (445 Views)

08-02-2006 10:26 AM in reply to: DBokmiller
You should still put it on the wishlist, and thru Autodesk's feedback page.
The more it is mentioned, the sooner it gets implemented (hopefully! ).

--
R. Robert Bell

wrote in message news:5256551@discussion.autodesk.com...
mmm.........kangaroo burgers.......

To place it on a face (the ceiling) I need to be in the 3d view instead of
the Mechanical Ceiling Plan view. And yes, still upside down. Also, this
type of family is not ceiling hosted, so if the grid moves the diffusers do
not. I've taken to creating my own from a ceiling hosted family template.

I'm considering putting ceiliing hosted air terminal families on the wish
list, but by the time they come around I will probably have made all that I
need. Guess that's the trouble with a software release with very little
content.

Thanks for your help!
Contributor
Message 7 of 30 (445 Views)

08-02-2006 11:47 AM in reply to: DBokmiller
The main reason for the current default diffusers being work plane hosted instead of clg hosted is that currently, clg hosted won't work if the arch model with the grids is a linked file. Clg hosted would only work if arch and MEP are sharing the same model using worksets. Work plane hosted will operate the same in both cases, whether the grid is in a linked file or not. Wishlist items that would meet both sets of requirements is if either clg hosted worked on linked file grids and/or workplane hosted recognized the clg grids

PS: These are on the wishlist already, but your wishes reinforce that. It's actually the same behavior in both Building and Systems.
Contributor
Message 8 of 30 (445 Views)

08-02-2006 11:50 AM in reply to: DBokmiller
Thanks Tony.

Any reason why they are upside down? Or is my family just screwed up?
Contributor
Message 9 of 30 (444 Views)

08-02-2006 12:00 PM in reply to: DBokmiller
If you attach the family or log it with Product Support then we can have a look at it. I'm guessing that either the workplane in the Family has xyz coordinates flipped or maybe you accidentally created it upside down in the Family.
Contributor
Message 10 of 30 (444 Views)

08-02-2006 12:04 PM in reply to: DBokmiller
This forum won't allow me to attach the family.
I will check the xyz coords. It is an "out of the box" family, not one I created.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Welcome to the new Autodesk Community!
If this is your first visit, click here to get started and make the most of the Community. Let us know what you think of the new experience in the Community Feedback Forum.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Revit Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Revit helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Revit

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Youtube