Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upside down diffusers

29 REPLIES 29
Message 1 of 30
Anonymous
2891 Views, 29 Replies

upside down diffusers

Ok, before you laugh, keep in mind I am electrical by trade. I am trying to use the Square Supply Diffuser - Hosted family in a Mechanical Ceiling view. When I place the diffuser it comes in on the floor, upside down. So I go to the floor plan, select the item and change it's elevation but it is still upside down. I'm trying to place a diffuser that is hosted by the ceiling grid.

Now you may laugh.
29 REPLIES 29
Message 21 of 30
SAndolsun
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello everybody,

I am using Autodesk Revit MEP 2011 and I am modeling a house with an unconditioned attic and the HVAC equipment and the air ducts are supposed to be in the attic. I am, however, not able to position my diffusers correctly. No matter what I do, they are always upside down. Thus, the ducts go into the zones and then turning upward to connect to the diffusers that are facing the attic. This is really very frustrating. Would you please let me know what I can do to fix this problem?

I look forward to hearing from you,

Best Regards,

Simge Andolsun

PhD Candidate

Texas A&M University

College of Architecture

Message 22 of 30
CoreyDaun
in reply to: SAndolsun

Are using the "Out Of The Box" diffuser families? Are there other diffusers in the project, and if so are they behaving correctly? I'm unable to replicate this problem.

⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗
Welcome to the Autodesk forums, SAndolsun!
Feel free to post any questions you may have! There are many experienced users here who generously contribute their time and effort to supporting
their peers. This is an open, peer-supported forum, so feel free to contribute any useful information or experiences to any of the topics you see here.
We hope you'll stick around a while and help strengthen the value of this community!
───────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
Be sure to review the Ground Rules, visit the FAQ Forum, and use the Search feature prior to posting a question, as it's likely been asked before.
⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 23 of 30
SAndolsun

Hi!

Thanks for your repsonse. No, I am not using Out of the Box diffuser families. I am actually using one of the diffusers (i.e. Supply Diffuser- Hosted) that I  loaded from the Imperial Library/Mechanical Components/Air-Side Components/Air Teminals folder of Autodek Revit MEP. I have seen the same problem with the Supply diffuser perforated-round neck ceiling mounted, too. Do you think it is caused by the type of the diffuser I am selecting. Would you please let me know what might be the reason for this problem and how I may fix it? If you could provide me an email adress, I can send my file to you.

Best Regards,

Simge Andolsun

PhD Candidate

Texas A&M University

College of Architecture

Message 24 of 30
CoreyDaun

Could you start a new project, create a ceiling, and then place the diffuser hosted to that ceiling? If it still inserts upside-down, perhaps you can post that project file here. You will have to use "Purge Unused" and then go into the project browser and manually delete all of the unused families, such as Duct Fittings. This should be enough to shrink the file size to a post-able size. Let us know if you run into problems.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 25 of 30
SAndolsun
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Hi!

I created another Revit file as you requested and located the diffusers on the ceiling. It created the diffusers upside down again. I did use the Purge option but I could not reduce the file size below 2,448 KB and this site allows for only up to 1,573 KB . I would appreciate it very much if you could provide me an email adress or a link that I can upload this file to. I really need to learn how to fix this problem so I would appreciate your help.

I am creating the building in Revit Architecture and then opening it in Autodesk Revit MEP to model the meachanical system. Am I doing it right? Please let me know.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Best Regards,

Simge Andolsun

PhD Candidate

Texas A&M University

College of Architecture

Message 26 of 30
CoreyDaun

I sent you a Private Message with my email address. (Click on the envelope icon next to your user name.)

Message 27 of 30
CoreyDaun

The reason for this behavior is that when the diffusers were placed on the Ceiling Face, the top face of the ceiling was selected as the host. To make sure that the diffusers behave properly, either place them in a Ceiling Plan View or in a 3D View, in which you must place it on the bottom face of the ceiling.

Message 28 of 30
SAndolsun

Thanks for your message. I actually positioned these diffusers in 3-D. After receiving your message, I tried to position them in a Ceiling plan view by selecting "Place on Face" and it worked! Thank you very much for your help. Best Regards,

Message 29 of 30
seanrafferty808
in reply to: Anonymous

When the default families in revit were created, they were drawn left to right, and that's what to expect, because that's the way we draw, read, most things. But for some reason, if you'll notice, the revit program flips things drawn left to right face up. So all of those families (we always have to flip our lights) in revit are right side up, or for our purposes, upside down. There is a little double hatch mark with arrows pointing in opposite directions that you can click on that will flip the orientation of whatever family you're placing.

Message 30 of 30
bvanallen

Has this problem been fixed yet? I'm working in MEP2012 with linked architectural ceiling grids. I know of all the work arounds but this has been an issue since 2006 and we still have no interest in re-creating a grid we don't need- especially when a linked grid is already there. We're getting ready to switch to 2014 soon and it just seems like this should have been fixed after a year or two, not 8+.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report