Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

training on Revit MEP 2013 using books for Revit MEP 2012

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
SandySherry
2309 Views, 7 Replies

training on Revit MEP 2013 using books for Revit MEP 2012

Wanted to ask for an opinion. I currently have Revit MEP 2013 and would like to start using it on projects. I searched online for training books and found many good ones for Revit MEP 2012 (http://www.amazon.com/The-Aubin-Academy-Master-Series/dp/1466389354/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=134323991...

Since there are not many good books out yet for Revit MEP 2013, would it make any difference if I bought one for MEP 2012?

thanks,

G

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
HVAC-Novice
in reply to: SandySherry

Design Integration Using Autodesk Revit 2013 is the best book i used so far. Especially when you use the "all in one" Revit 2013. 

I've been using Revit for 2 years (on and off) and wish I would have had this book in the beginning. this book is very good for newbies, but also good for people like me, especially when you work on an entire project, and not just on one single aspect.

Revit version: R2024.2
Message 3 of 8

I guess it depends on how you want to use it. If you're just starting out, or have done mostly trial-and-error learning to this point, a book (even a release behind) can help fill in the gaps. But if you're looking for the latest and greatest, of course it won't have those.

I studied the 2011 version of the same Aubin Academy book you mentioned (and Mastering Audodesk Revit Architecture 2011) to pass both certification exams in Revit 2012. So, yep, it works.

Something else to consider is the timing. Does your company have a subscription and/or upgrade soon after each release update? If so, then your 2012 book will be 2 releases "old" sooner rather than later. If, on the other hand, you're likely to stick with 2013 for a while, then the book is more likely to be useful. (and you can always pick up a 2013 book later)  For me, by the time I started using 2012 Revit products, 2013 was already out. So even though I'm using 12 now, I won't buy any 12 books...I'll just go right to 13 when I get there.

Good luck!

Message 4 of 8

Considering the cost of the software, subscription and your paid time, I wouldn't worry about buying a 2012 book just to save a few bucks. The book I recommended above is $42 or so... is that really going to break you when you use a $6K software that has $700 annual subscription cost?

you won't learn every detail of Revit from books. But you need to get a good structure and "think the way Revit thinks" to understand. The details you can use the Wiki, which is very good, this forum and google. the books won't cover your special needs anyway.

And don't even use AutoCAd anymore. This just will throw you off.

Message 5 of 8
SandySherry
in reply to: HVAC-Novice

Thanks for all your input. I had a 3 day introductory course 2 years ago, so I got the basics down. But I need to move forward with the MEP side. That is why I am leaning towards the MEP book over the one that covers all of REVIT. But it did look really helpful, and you have a point on the cost part. I think it wouldn't break the bank to get more than one.

Message 6 of 8
HVAC-Novice

The book you came up with (MEP 2012) looks pretty good based on the "look inside" feature of Amazon.If there is a 2013 version, go for that. but if not, I don't think it is so much different.

Depending on if you also have to create the architectural model, you may consider upgrading to the full Revit 2013 (inc. Architecture, MEP and Structural). Before i did that i wasted so much time using MEP to build the building and now it really is easy. (i have many standalone projects, like lighting retrofits where i also have to do the architectural part)

since you had the 3-day course, you probabaly spent more money than you ever will on all the Revit books you ever will need over the next 20 years 🙂

Message 7 of 8
mike_doug

Hi,

You can try Exploring Autodesk Revit MEP by CADCIM Technologies 🙂

http://www.cadcim.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ISBN=978-1-936646-29-6

Mike D

Message 8 of 8
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: mike_doug

About books, I can recommend ,"Mastering Autodesk Revit MEP ...", by Don Bokmiller, Joel Londenberg, and Simon Whitbread.

Another option is video tutorials. You may want to look at my series of video tutorials about Revit MEP. 15 hours of video. For more information please refer to my blog at:

http://planta1.com/forum/entry.php?36-A-comprehensive-series-of-tutorial-videos-about-Revit-MEP

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report