Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pipe slope

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
BRYANBRAUER1832
1729 Views, 6 Replies

pipe slope

Plumbing codes allow sanitary sewer lines 4" and larger to be sloped at 1/8" per foot if approved by the AHJ.  I am trying to design a system using that slope on 4" pipe, while using the 1/4" per foot slope on 3" laterals that connect to the 4" building sewer, but REVIT does not appear to allow more than one slope value on a system.  Does anyone have experiance with this? 

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
RKLindner
in reply to: BRYANBRAUER1832

Believe you're talking about "default" slope.  When you start to draw a pipe section, the option for pipe size, etc also includes slope.  Manually change it there to whatever slope you prefer for that pipe section.  Unfortunately, it is not automatic.

Richard

(PS at least NSPC allows 3" and larger at 1/8"/ft).

Message 3 of 7
BRYANBRAUER1832
in reply to: RKLindner

Thanks.  I don't need automatic, just consistent results.  About half the time when I connect a lateral at 1/4" per foot to the 1/8" per foot main, REVIT decides that I am screwing up and changes the slope of the downstream section of the main to 1/4" per fott slope too.

Message 4 of 7

To do different slopes, one must start the run-out FROM the main, manually changing the slope as you go out to the drop.

Of course, this implies that the main must already layed out and sized.

Also, Revit has a very difficult time calculating connections on sloped piping. One may have to "draw" piping close enough to the main so that when the drawings print, the piping looks connected. This is especially true for bathroom groups connecting to the main.

As always, Good Luck.

Message 5 of 7
rgeller3XCEL
in reply to: sforsberg215

Slope vs. no slope.

In regards to workflow.

My firm and I are new to working with Revit. As we are working now on our second, third, fourth plumbing job in Revit we made the effort t to really do it right and draw the pipe with the correct slope. However, as with most projects we get, there are changes that we find ourselves having to make as a result of architectural layouts changing. I'm talking major changes like entire fixture groups being moved, rotated, and broken up differently which resulted in lots of rework and on the projects where we chose to slope the drain pipe, making changes proved to be far more difficult. Not much more challenging but more time consuming. We need to employ more views and switch a lot between views to adjust things. We are finding that what we drew at the correct slope becomes corrupt a or changes in one spot causes changes in other places or along the main run. Can anyone recommend a good workflow for reworking systems that incorporate a lot of sloped pipe or does it ultimately save time to redraw and reduce the number of instances where modifications to sloped pipe need to take place? Since drawing with slope, especially in terms of rework, seems to require so much more work/time we are considering avoiding it when possible. If we can reduce that difference to at least only twice as much time spent for instance that might be viable but we seem to be spending like five times as much time working with sloped systems vs  similar changes in non sloped systems. Any  suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Message 6 of 7

To add in slope ratio you need to set project unit correctly first then go to mechanical setting to add slope ratio based on inches. To do so following the steps

Go to Manage->Project Units

Select Slope, format

1.png

Change the unit and round based like 1/4 or 1/16 or more on your choice. Once done exit

Next to go manage-> MEP setting-> mechanical setting

At the browser go to pipe setting -> slopes

2.png

Add new slope based on your choice.

Next draw the pipe, your ribbon will automatically change to modify.

Select slope down or up and change ratio based on what you add.

Now you can draw consistently with ratio of your choice, but sometime... may not be the right slope of your choice due to some bug...

Message 7 of 7
fabiosato
in reply to: rgeller3XCEL

Hello,

Unfortunatelly, in my experience, adjusting sloped pipes is a real pain, the production team figure out that most of the time, starting from the beggining is far more easy, so they delete the previous work, but we mostly work with buildings that are not so complex.

Fábio Sato
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report