Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

non-printing text

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
dtiemeyer
2460 Views, 8 Replies

non-printing text

In AutoCAD we use a layer called Designer Notes which is set to 'No Plot'. On this layer we put text that is not intended to print. I cannot find a good way to create non printing text in Revit. Any thoughs?

I have tried:
- View Filters (doesnt work, they only apply to model geometry, not annotation)
- Adding a subcategory (doesnt work, text cant be subcategorized)

Thanks in advance.
Dustin
My other CAD is a Cadillac and I like to Revit to the Max!
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Martin__Schmid
in reply to: dtiemeyer

Reivt isn't AutoCAD... you will need to adjust your workflow accordingly. I've seen users do a variety of the following:
1. Create a separate view that isn't intended to be placed on a sheet.
2. Embed the 'notes' in params of the objects.

Revit is WYSIWYG

Depending on what the notes are, they may not be necessary... the most common use of the 'no plot' notes in Mechanical acad dwgs has traditionally been to keep track of duct flows... which Revit does automatically, so it isn't necessary (yes, I've seen a customer place duct flows on their models manually because they didn't know Revit did this for them, ugh!)

Martin Schmid
Product Line Manager
Mechanical Detailing and Electrical Design
Architecture, Engineering, and Construction
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 9
dtiemeyer

Hi Martin,
I do agree with you about using Revit correctly and not emulating AutoCAD explicitly. In this scenario we have tables that are not automatically generated schedules (like Feeder sizing for electrical) that we need notes for the designer (for instance, remove Aluminum if...). In cases like this, a non-plotting text would be extremely useful.
My other CAD is a Cadillac and I like to Revit to the Max!
Message 4 of 9
RandMan

There HAS to be a way around this.  This is a MUST-HAVE issue. 

Message 5 of 9
tim.winnington

If you do not use keynotes you could label through keynotes as you can turn off the category just not sure how a table would go.  Alternatively you could create an object in a category not normally used as a marker say under specialty equipement and build associated tags to this element which is then able to be turned off when not required or ultimately deleted when the model is issued.  Both options would not be ideal but may be a work around option.

Message 6 of 9
CoreyDaun
in reply to: RandMan

My method of accomplishing this is to create a Generic Annotation with a Label tied to a Text / Instance Parameter. The Label is set to display only on Detail Level: Medium. This coincides with my typical methods, which is to use that Detail Level exclusively as an analytical tool that reveals other 'no-print' info such as occupancy sensor ranges, embedded light fixture info labels, equipment clearances, etc.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 7 of 9
RandMan
in reply to: CoreyDaun

The detail-level-specific text sounds like a sweet deal.  I will try that, thanks.

Message 8 of 9
Chrisjoneill

Message 9 of 9
RobDraw
in reply to: Chrisjoneill

Change your mind?

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report