Revit MEP

Mentor
dtiemeyer
Message 1 of 7 (283 Views)

non-printing text

283 Views, 6 Replies
07-15-2008 08:15 AM
In AutoCAD we use a layer called Designer Notes which is set to 'No Plot'. On this layer we put text that is not intended to print. I cannot find a good way to create non printing text in Revit. Any thoughs?

I have tried:
- View Filters (doesnt work, they only apply to model geometry, not annotation)
- Adding a subcategory (doesnt work, text cant be subcategorized)

Thanks in advance.
Dustin
Striving to be a WOMBAT, Waste Of Money, Brains, & Talent...

⁞|⁞ Please use the Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums. Thank you!
Employee
martin.schmid
Message 2 of 7 (283 Views)

Re: non-printing text

07-15-2008 08:31 AM in reply to: dtiemeyer
Reivt isn't AutoCAD... you will need to adjust your workflow accordingly. I've seen users do a variety of the following:
1. Create a separate view that isn't intended to be placed on a sheet.
2. Embed the 'notes' in params of the objects.

Revit is WYSIWYG

Depending on what the notes are, they may not be necessary... the most common use of the 'no plot' notes in Mechanical acad dwgs has traditionally been to keep track of duct flows... which Revit does automatically, so it isn't necessary (yes, I've seen a customer place duct flows on their models manually because they didn't know Revit did this for them, ugh!)

Martin Schmid, P.E.
Product Manager - Revit MEP
Architecture, Engineering, and Construction
Autodesk, Inc.

Mentor
dtiemeyer
Message 3 of 7 (283 Views)

07-15-2008 02:34 PM in reply to: dtiemeyer
Hi Martin,
I do agree with you about using Revit correctly and not emulating AutoCAD explicitly. In this scenario we have tables that are not automatically generated schedules (like Feeder sizing for electrical) that we need notes for the designer (for instance, remove Aluminum if...). In cases like this, a non-plotting text would be extremely useful.
Striving to be a WOMBAT, Waste Of Money, Brains, & Talent...

⁞|⁞ Please use the Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums. Thank you!
Valued Contributor
RandMan
Message 4 of 7 (159 Views)

10-24-2012 04:08 PM in reply to: dtiemeyer

There HAS to be a way around this.  This is a MUST-HAVE issue. 

Active Contributor
tim.winnington
Message 5 of 7 (155 Views)

10-24-2012 07:41 PM in reply to: dtiemeyer

If you do not use keynotes you could label through keynotes as you can turn off the category just not sure how a table would go.  Alternatively you could create an object in a category not normally used as a marker say under specialty equipement and build associated tags to this element which is then able to be turned off when not required or ultimately deleted when the model is issued.  Both options would not be ideal but may be a work around option.

*Expert Elite*
CADastrophe
Message 6 of 7 (144 Views)

10-25-2012 05:47 AM in reply to: RandMan

My method of accomplishing this is to create a Generic Annotation with a Label tied to a Text / Instance Parameter. The Label is set to display only on Detail Level: Medium. This coincides with my typical methods, which is to use that Detail Level exclusively as an analytical tool that reveals other 'no-print' info such as occupancy sensor ranges, embedded light fixture info labels, equipment clearances, etc.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Valued Contributor
RandMan
Message 7 of 7 (138 Views)

10-25-2012 08:06 AM in reply to: CADastrophe

The detail-level-specific text sounds like a sweet deal.  I will try that, thanks.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Revit Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Revit helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Revit

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Youtube