Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

long radius 45 degree elbows

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
KRhines01
7703 Views, 15 Replies

long radius 45 degree elbows

I'm trying to draw a 45 degree long radius elbow using the attached rfa and csv file.  However when I say the elbow is 45 degrees it does not draw the elbow as half of the 90 degree elbows as you would expect.  It gives me something weird (see attached jpeg).  Can anyone help me with this?  Thanks in advance.

KKR

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
LisaDrago
in reply to: KRhines01

I wanted to bring this tot he top again to try and get some help on this post - 

Does anyone have any thoughts???

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
Message 3 of 16
CoreyDaun

Welcome to the Discussion Groups, KKR

There is no .jpeg attached in your post, but I did look into the attached Family. At a 45 angle, this family appears as the blue in the image below; are you aiming to have it appear more like the red in the same image? If not, can you elaborate on what troubles your having and what you're aiming to achieve?

ElbowPipeFitting.JPG

Sorry for the lack of response, by the way.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 4 of 16
KRhines01
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Yes that would be correct.  I would like it to appear as the red example.  The intent would be to create a 45 degree elbow with a centerline 1.5 times the diameter of the pipe.

Message 5 of 16
CoreyDaun

I'm not very experience with Fitting Families, but I think I see this better now. When attempting create a 45° bend using this elbow, the resulting angle of the pipe is not 45° at all - it gets distorted to accommodate the family. I think that the problem lies with the Reference Planes within the Family; the fitting should stay centered on the right vertical Reference Plane (which is the origin plane) to define the center-point of the elbow. Since the Family does not seem to, Revit determines an incorrect intersection for the pipe so it doesn't coincide with the Connectors.

From what template or Family file did you begin building/modifying this Family?

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 6 of 16
KRhines01

Lisa, helped out with this as I am just starting out and to be honest I have no idea.  Lisa could you help?

Message 7 of 16
LisaDrago

I am not sure what template this was made from. I found it on the AUGI website: Here

I was struggling with it myself.

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
Message 8 of 16
CoreyDaun
in reply to: LisaDrago

That Family seems broken to me - I bet no one really tried using it. Anyway I don't think that it would be too much trouble to make one based off the OOTB generic elbow family. You should be able to make a copy of it and rename it, then modify the "Center Radius" formula to get the results you're looking for...

Message 9 of 16
CoreyDaun

Have you guys had any luck with this?

Message 10 of 16
KRhines01

I'm doing my best but I'm new and have struggled with this.  Not sure what my next step is.  Lisa have you had any luck?

Message 11 of 16
CoreyDaun

I know it can be overwhelming if you're new with Revit. Here's what I did, if you'd try out these steps (for use with Revit 2014):

I based this off of the OOTB elbow family "Elbow - Generic.rfa". Locate the file following this path below, copy the file elsewhere, are rename it appropriately, such as "Elbow - Long Radius.rfa".

C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RVT 2014\Libraries\US Imperial\Pipe\Fittings\Generic

Now, locate the CSV file that is associated with this Family. In order to determine this, you can open the Family, go to Family Types (the button with the four blue squares on the Systems tab of the Ribbon, and look for the Lookup Table Name. Now, browse to the path listed below and copy that CSV and copy it either in the same folder or to the same location as the Family. Rename it exactly as you did the Family.

C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RVT 2014\Lookup Tables\Pipe

Open the Family if isn't already open and go to Family Types. Click the "Manage..." button, then import the appropriate CSV file, and click 'OK'. Change the parameter "Lookup Table Name" to the correct table name. Now you can go back to "Manage..." and delete the previous CSV table from the family. Click 'OK'.

Now the only thing left to fix is the radius; look for the parameter "Center Radius (Default)". Under the Formula column, replace the formula for that parameter with:

Nominal Diameter * 1.5

Now load this Family into a new Project and give it a test run.

Message 12 of 16
KRhines01

image001.png

Delete anyway....
Then this error

image002.png

Changed center radius to "Nominal Diameter * 1.5"
Worked fine...

Then this error

image003.png

Don't have a clue how to fix it.
Can't try to see if it work because the it just keeps repeating till I cancel the operation.

Kevin K. Rhines

———————————————————————————————————————————

EDITED by CADastrophe on 07-19-2013   Reason: Corrected embedded images.

Message 13 of 16
CoreyDaun

The images didn't come through - use the Insert/edit Image button to embed them into a post. Copy/Paste doesn't really work.

PostTools.JPG

Message 14 of 16
LisaDrago

Sorry - been a busy day...

So I have been working on it.. But what I have found is in taking it to a 1.5 dia - I think we lose the long radius of the elbow that he wanted in the first place.

Unless I am doing something wrong.

I started with the original long elbow family and changed the nominal Diameter to 1.5.

I have attached an image of what I am getting.

LD

Message 15 of 16
CoreyDaun
in reply to: LisaDrago

LisaDrago wrote:

"So I have been working on it.. But what I have found is in taking it to a 1.5 dia - I think we lose the long radius of the elbow that he wanted in the first place."

Here is an image of what I've got after following the steps I listed.
LongRadiusElbow.JPG

LisaDrago wrote:

"Unless I am doing something wrong.

I started with the original long elbow family and changed the nominal Diameter to 1.5."

Wait, you started from that downloaded family? I'm pretty sure that one's garbage, so scrap that thing and start with the default Generic Elbow family that comes with Revit.

Message 16 of 16
LisaDrago

So yeah - total brain fart there... Smiley Embarassed

Yes - once I slowed down and read and did what you wrote - it worked. Smiley Very Happy

Thank you for your help.

LD

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report