Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

inserting pipe valve

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
1466 Views, 5 Replies

inserting pipe valve

Hi !
Does anyone know if we can insert valves or other accesories (streaner, check-valve...) vertically ? No option is available to rotate them when i am in a section or elevation view ! So strange...

Thanks
É.
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
jade.l
in reply to: Anonymous

Do you mean inserting pipe valve into a vertical pipe? You can't do this in section or elevation view. 3D view is OK. The valves can automatically break into pipe.

jade.l

Message 3 of 6
mdwWY17

You can insert them in 3d view as Jade6 said and I often do it this way. But the pipe you want to insert it into is often hard to line up with. A long tall pipe is usually fairly easy. A short pipe is often very tough. I could be doing something wrong.
Usually I don't even bother with 3d unless the pipe is long.
From the plan view I put a section cut in a convient spot near the pipe, the placement pipe, that will contain the valve. Doesnt matter if the cut is horizontal or vertical. From a plan view I place a "sacrifice" pipe the same size as the valve. I place the sacrifice pipe parallel to the section cut and lined up with the placement pipe. Doesn't matter at what elevation the sacrifice is placed at. Then I hit piping accessories and place the valve or strainer or whatever accessory that breaks into pipe that I want into the sacrifice pipe. It usually snaps right in. Then I go to the section cut view (which is usually open on another part of my screen since I flip from one view to the next regularly) select the valve and the sacrice pipe (use the tab key which is quick way to select the 3 pieces). Once selected I rotate the valve and sacrifice pipe 90 degrees. Drag the valve and pipe to the desired elevation of the valve. Then activate the align tool and click on the placement pipe and then on a sacrifice pipe. The valve is now perfectly aligned with the pipe it is to be in. Select the placement pipe and drag one end to an end of the sacrifice pipe. Connect the remaining sacrifice pipe end to fitting or whatever the placement pipe was dragged from. Sometimes it is easier/quicker to make this last connection by selecting the fitting and clicking "connect into". Once the valve is rotated and aligned there are several ways to quickly connect it to the placement pipe. If there are more pipes in this view that require valves you can just copy the valve just placed and use the alignment tool to line it up with the additional pipe(s).
Reading through this it seems like a lot, but it actually goes quite fast. Faster generally than trying to line up with the pipe in 3d. Edited by: mdwWY17 on Feb 14, 2009 8:34 AM
Message 4 of 6
jade.l

Tried your way. Thanks for sharing .

jade.l

Message 5 of 6
jade.l

Tried your way. Thanks for sharing .

jade.l

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

Thank you for help !! I will try.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

Autodesk Design & Make Report