Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

**help** Pipe fittings rotating - project at standstill

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
BrianAd
1259 Views, 2 Replies

**help** Pipe fittings rotating - project at standstill

Below is a screenshot of some piping connections. In Revit MEP 2010, the flow direction of the pipe that was drawn would have an effect of how 45degree pipe runs connected into a main. In Revit MEP 2011 this doesn't work, it doesn't matter which direction of flow the pipe is drawn. As you can see from the posted picture it will only connect if you are connecting from a certain direction at a 45degree angle.

WHY ?!?!   I've seen this question posted a few times and never has anyone given an official answer.

Looking at the screenshot below, the top group of pipes, the main horizontal pipe was drawn from left to right. The bottom group of pipes, the main horizontal pipe was drawn from right to left. As you can see it makes no difference. (all the pipes are the same size, all the pipes are at the same elevations, all the pipes are the same material, etc.)

The second connection from the left (actual project flow direction indicated with red arrows) is the instance that I need to produce in my drawing. The actual flow of the design is going from right to left with a branch pipe connecting into a main, but Revit MEP 2011 will not allow me to produce this because it keeps forcing the tee to go against the actual flow.

As I stated earlier it worked fine in Revit MEP 2010, but does not work in Revit MEP 2011. I need help with this issue. I need an answer and need it urgently. I can not see having to redesign an entire project and designing future projects around the fact that Revit MEP 2011 does not work properly.

revitpipingfail.JPG

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
JHenry58
in reply to: BrianAd

Are you using the sanitary tee fitting? I had that same problem with that family. Try using the Wye fitting instead, which is what would be used for that orientation of pipes.

I used to use the sanitary tee family as a convenient "catch-all", because it allows a 45 degree connection, but ran into the problem you are having. If you edit the "Wye" family so the the category is changed from "wye" to "tee", then it will appear in the selection of tee fittings in the pipe properties. Then it will connect automatically without having to "place" the wye fitting.

Good luck!

jhenry58 (NNTP handle: John Henry)
You may recognize me from the
hundreds of previous newsreader posts
I've made over the last 10+ years
as John Henry

Message 3 of 3
BrianAd
in reply to: JHenry58

Thanks JHenry, that worked like a charm. I was doing the same thing with the "catch all" using the sanitary tee, still learning how things are actually done in the field. Up til now it's all been lines and circles with Autocad. Revit makes things a bit more realistic, thanks for the heads up.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report