Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hatch patterns showing OVER mep

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
hmunsell
2480 Views, 7 Replies

hatch patterns showing OVER mep

I am working on a Plumbing file in Revit 2013. I have a structural file linked into my plumbing file. the problem is, even though all my pipe is above the floor, the floor pattern (concrete) is showing “On” my pipe. See attached image…. Also in the attached image, the Grating that is showing “over” the pipe is actually 2’ below it, but the pattern is still showing on top of the pipe. Anyone seen this before?

Howard Munsell
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
hmunsell
in reply to: hmunsell

Update.... it is doing it in 2014 also.

basicly, why is my pipe not hiding patterns from the link that are below it?  And yes i am in a hidden line view. 🙂

Howard Munsell
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
RKLindner

Quick guess would be to check to see if you're in RCP ceiling mode, aka looking up from below rather than down from above.

Message 4 of 8
hmunsell
in reply to: RKLindner

ya, that was my first thougth too..... it is a Floor Plan and the underlay orientations is set to Plan and it still shows like that.

Howard Munsell

EESignature

Message 5 of 8
CoreyDaun

This issue is a behavior of Revit. For whatever reason, hatch patterns that belong to "out-of-discipline" elements (i.e. Walls & Floor on a Mechanical View) will NOT be masked by "in-discipline" elements. So if you changed your View's Discipline to Architectural or Coordination, the pattern will become masked. I do not have a work-around to the situation, aside from turning off the hatch pattern for the Floors entirely, under V/G Overrides.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 6 of 8
hmunsell
in reply to: CoreyDaun

The issue is my designer wants to see through the grating, I noticed the floor patterns when trying to diagnose that issue. Some of the grating is over the pipe in a trench and some is under the pipe as it comes up out of the trench. Instead of making a elaborate family for the grating, we just made a thin floor and applied a Model surface pattern (which works great in 3d). If we set the discipline to any of the MEP’s though you can see though it like they want, but, the surface patterns shows on top of the pipe that is coming up from the trench. If we set the discipline to Coordination, Structural or Architectural, the grating elevations behave, but you can’t see through it anymore. Basically I want my cake and eat it too 🙂

Unfortunately the group I’m working with is very particular and this is there first Revit project. I don’t want this to be an issue that they can say they won’t use Revit for. I have already heard “Well in AutoCAD we’d just…..”. I was hoping it was something I was missing, not a deficiency in Revit. For now, I have told them to just place a filled region in the views they want to show the grating in.

Howard Munsell

EESignature

Message 7 of 8
%4seasons%

any update on this? i also have a problem linking revit as a background while linking CAD is fineSmiley Sad

Message 8 of 8
ChrisHeinold

I know this is an older post but hopefully someone whose looking for an answer might be able to use this. I had the same problem doing an underground Chilled Water Vault. I needed to show my concrete pads under my piping on a fine detail level setting. Switching my view discipline to coordination cut out the hatch pattern under my pipes however it also cut out the edges of the pad so you couldnt see where the edge of the pad was. I then switched my show hidden lines to All and now everything is showing up how I wanted. Ive attached images showing the difference in the changes I made. First one being my Mechanical view, Second is with my view set to Coordination, Third with show hidden lines set to All. Hope this helps.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report