Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can't host receptacles

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
LynR
1609 Views, 5 Replies

can't host receptacles

I am trying to place receptacles on walls (face hosted). I did the first floor with no problem but the second floor only works for the ouside walls. The interior walls will not host the element, it keeps trying to attach to the ceiling. The interior wallls are also very hard to see like they are greyed out. Obviously something is set up wrong but I can't figure it out. can somebody help?

Thanks

Lyn

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
SteveKStafford
in reply to: LynR

Sounds like the view is using an underlay and interfering with selection. If you are using 2014 or 2015 there is also an option to tell Revit not to Select Links (pull down under the Modify button).

My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056
Message 3 of 6
LynR
in reply to: SteveKStafford

I don't see this option although I am using 2014. I notice that there don't
seem to be any spaces on this floor would that be the problem?

Thanks

Lyn
Message 4 of 6
SteveKStafford

Well if there are no spaces then perhaps there are no walls either? The walls you are seeing are probably the underlay of the lower floor. Look in the properties of the view, parameter: Underlay. It probably says Level 1 or something like that. That means Revit is showing the floor below. Change that to none and you'll see what's really there.

Have a look at your 3D view. Is there more than one floor?

Have you adjusted the levels of your project to match those of the architecture file?

My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056
Message 5 of 6
LynR
in reply to: SteveKStafford

Thank you for trying to help Steve.

I still don't know what is wrong with the plan I was using but I made a new view from the architectural floor plan view and this one works fine. However it's in the wrong section which is annoying and I also have to edit the template if I want to alter the view range so I know this isn't how it's supposed to be but at least it works.

I've only done one project before and that was 5 years ago so a lot has changed and even more has been forgotten. Unfortunately I am under enormous pressure here with lots of other work needing my attention so I haven't had the time to read up properly and probably made some errors with the initial set up. I did have an error with the levels which has since been fixed but it seems like the change doesn't affect everything - view options - at any rate. I guess it only works if its set up right in the beginning.

Message 6 of 6
SteveKStafford

A project needs to start out with some basics:

• Link the architecture model - Auto - Origin to Origin
  • Examine an elevation - Make sure your levels match theirs (it's also helpful to get a better sense of the scope vertically)
  • Use Copy/Monitor to create and "watch" the levels for coordination (optional but a good idea)
  • Room Bounding - The arch link has a Type Parameter called Room Bounding, this should be checked if/when you are using Spaces
  • Create views for each level after you've made sure yours match theirs
  • Repeat this for each discipline, HVAC, Plumbing etc...
  • If you need your own grids to adjust how your documents look - use Copy/Monitor to get a "watched" set of your own grids

There are other subtle things like worksets that can factor in as well, but assuming the above is all done, you're ready to start adding your own work.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report