Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

autodesk revit 2012 problems (Family Visibility)

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
dmnvg5
732 Views, 11 Replies

autodesk revit 2012 problems (Family Visibility)

why can't I see my family when I load it into my project?  iI assume it is in there because I try it again and it wants to overwrite it.

secondly, why don't I see my paint colors on my model when I add them to surfaces?  Arrow over the surfaces show a color is added but it doesn't actually show the color to my surfaces.  how do I change it to see the actual color on the surfaces?

any help is appreciated

thanks

Novice

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
CoreyDaun
in reply to: dmnvg5

dmnvg5 wrote:

"why can't I see my family when I load it into my project?  iI assume it is in there because I try it again and it wants to overwrite it."

If you receive the message regarding overwriting the Family, then yes, it is loaded in. I'm unsure of exactly what you mean by "can't see". Are you able to locate the Family in the Project Browser?

dmnvg5 wrote:

"why can't I see my family when I load it into my project?  iI assume it is in there because I try it again and it wants to overwrite it..."

There is a large number of possible causes to this, a few of them being:

• The extrusions/lines in the Family are not Visible
  • The extrusions/lines in the Family are only visible at certain Detail Levels
  • That Category is no visible in that View within Project
  • The element is being placed on a Workset that is not visible
  • There may be a View Filter affecting the element's visibility
  • The elements may have been placed on Phase that is hidden
  • The element may be being placed outside of the View Range

While you are trying to place an instance of that family, do you see a "preview" of that element at your cursor? Are you receiving any kind of error message when you attempt to place the element? If you cannot find the cause, can you attach your Family file here?

dmnvg5 wrote:

"...secondly, why don't I see my paint colors on my model when I add them to surfaces?  Arrow over the surfaces show a color is added but it doesn't actually show the color to my surfaces.  how do I change it to see the actual color on the surfaces?"

Similar to above, there may be a couple possible causes:

• There is a System Override affecting the element
  • The Phase Filters may be overriding its appearance

Is this happening in more than one View? Is this occurring with elements in other Categories?

⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗
Welcome to the Autodesk forums, dmnvg5!
Feel free to post any questions you may have! There are many experienced users here who generously contribute their time and effort to supporting
their peers. This is an open, peer-supported forum, so feel free to contribute any useful information or experiences to any of the topics you see here.
We hope you'll stick around a while and help strengthen the value of this community!
───────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
Be sure to review the Ground Rules, visit the FAQ Forum, and use the Search feature prior to posting a question, as it's likely been asked before.
⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 12
dmnvg5

CADastrophe - Thanks for the replies but I am such a novice trying to learn this on my own that I'm not sure exactly how to check for all those items you posted I relisted below.  It would help me greatly if you can describe steps to check them.

• The extrusions/lines in the Family are not Visible
  • The extrusions/lines in the Family are only visible at certain Detail Levels
  • That Category is no visible in that View within Project
  • The element is being placed on a Workset that is not visible
  • There may be a View Filter affecting the element's visibility
  • The elements may have been placed on Phase that is hidden
  • The element may be being placed outside of the View Range

and

• There is a System Override affecting the element
  • The Phase Filters may be overriding its appearance

To answer your questions to my questions - I do not see the family I am trying to upload into the project browser.  If I try copying or moving it into the project - I try selecting it all to move into my project, it moves with my curser until I move my cursor over the screen of the project and then stops moving in the family file. And I am not receiving and error messages.

As far as the colors go, I am seeing the issue in more than one View.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks

I tried attaching my project and my family files.  Only allows me to post the small power generator file due to size.  If you need to see the project I can e-mail it to you if you send me your e-mail.  Mine is dmnvg5@mst.edu.  Thanks

Message 4 of 12
CoreyDaun

dmnvg5 wrote:

"CADastrophe - Thanks for the replies but I am such a novice trying to learn this on my own that I'm not sure exactly how to check for all those items you posted I relisted below.  It would help me greatly if you can describe steps to check them."

First of all, know that trying to learn Revit on your own will very likely be very brutal. I would highly recommend seeking training and searching for tutorial and video. YouTube is pretty good for that.

Back to the matter at hand - first we can look at the Family file. Could you post just that Family file here?

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 12
dmnvg5
in reply to: CoreyDaun

yes it is brutal.  family file shoud hopefully be attached.  thanks for looking

Message 6 of 12
dmnvg5

I do get a warning when try to Load Family into Project

I get "Can't create this kind of element in this view in the current mode."

?????

Message 7 of 12
CoreyDaun

The problem here is that the Family belongs to the "Site" Category. From what I've read in the Revit Architecture forum here, that is a useless Category. And even if it wasn't, there are a few Categories that are not supported by Revit MEP, (like some of the Structural Families) which prevents the user from being able to place them.

To correct this issue, open the Family File and click on "Family Category and Parameters", which is the button on the left side of the ribbon with the picture of the file folder. From the list in this dialog box, choose an alternate Category, such as Generic Models. Click OK, save, and load it into your Project again.

Message 8 of 12
dmnvg5

Great.  Thanks.  Got it to work.

Now I'm still stuck on why my colors are not showing up on my project.  I move the curser over the area and it indicates or says that it has been painted and with the correct paint but it is not showing up as green, or brick, or whatever.

What do you think I have off or on that is inhibiting me from seeing this?

THanks for your help

Message 9 of 12
CoreyDaun

dmnvg5 wrote:

"...Now I'm still stuck on why my colors are not showing up on my project.  I move the curser over the area and it indicates or says that it has been painted and with the correct paint but it is not showing up as green, or brick, or whatever..."

Could you post screen captures/images of the following:

• A View that show the incorrectly displaying elements.
  • The Properties of that View (just open that View and get an image of the Properties Palette).
  • The Instance Properties of one of those Elements (select an element and get an image of the Properties Palette).
Message 10 of 12
dmnvg5
in reply to: CoreyDaun

hopefully these screen shots help answer what you are asking to see.  the top shot shows my curser over the wall and states what it is painted but doesn't actually show it.  phase filter is show complete and phase is new construction

Message 11 of 12
CoreyDaun

It looks like your View's Visual Style is set to "Hidden Line". If this is set to either that or "Wireframe", you will not see the surfaces' colors. Change Visual Style (located on the bottom next to Scale and Detail Level) to "Shaded", "Consistent Color", or "Realistic".

Message 12 of 12
dmnvg5

boom!

thanks!!!!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report