ISSUE: Worksharing does not work. I have followed the worksharing workflow to the letter.
SYMPTOMS: I created a model, turned on worksharing and saved as central model to our (local) networked server, that all users have access to. Once I close and re-open the model I am able to create a local copy, work on it and synchronize with central as normal. The problem comes when another user tries to open that model, a warning pops up that says the user must do a save-as back to the network and over-write the central, making the new one the central after save. Now when I try to open that same model, I get the same error message and have to perform the same steps. Thus the entire idea behind worksharing is null if we have to over-writing each others work.
Its as if only one local copy can be made at a time!
Solved! Go to Solution.
It sounds like the new user is opening the central file, and not creating their own local. Have them click on the central file from the Open dialogue in Revit, and make sure the "Create New Local File" box is checked.
A good way to see if a user is working in the central file or their local file is by using the Worksharing Monitor add-in. Also, check the file name at the top of the screen when the file is open. If the file is appended with the user's name, then it is their local file.
Thanks for the response.
I thought this might be the case so I tried to walk them through it. The "create new local" checkbox is un-checked and greyed out, and cannot be changed,as if the file was not a "central" model.....but it is.
Are both of you mapped the same to the location of the central model? Ex: both of you are using the same drive letter designation and/or the same UNC path?
If this is different it can cause the issue that you describe in your follow-up post (local copy box not being available).
Everyone is mapped to the e drive on our server. However when mapping the drive, the letter e is not available, so we're all using the letter P for our project directory.
The error message (attached) does coincide with this thought however.
After opening the central file you can "save as" to the local user drive. Thus creating a local copy to the central file.
I believe this was the answer. Some of our mapped network drives were named using the IP of the drive and others were mapped using a directory path, even though the destination was the same place, having conflicting naming cuased the problem. It all appears to be working as expected now.
Thank you for the assistance,