Revit MEP

Contributor
xxjwilson
Message 1 of 7 (1,044 Views)
Accepted Solution

Worksharing error: Can't create local copy without overwriting central first

1044 Views, 6 Replies
10-04-2012 09:20 AM

ISSUE: Worksharing does not work. I have followed the worksharing workflow to the letter.

SYMPTOMS: I created a model, turned on worksharing and saved as central model to our (local) networked server, that all users have access to. Once I close and re-open the model I am able to create a local copy, work on it and synchronize with central as normal. The problem comes when another user tries to open that model, a warning pops up that says the user must do a save-as back to the network and over-write the central, making the new one the central after save. Now when I try to open that same model, I get the same error message and have to perform the same steps. Thus the entire idea behind worksharing is null if we have to over-writing each others work.

Its as if only one local copy can be made at a time!

PLEASE HELP!!!

*Expert Elite*
abulla
Message 2 of 7 (1,032 Views)

Re: Worksharing error: Can't create local copy without overwriting central first

10-04-2012 10:19 AM in reply to: xxjwilson

It sounds like the new user is opening the central file, and not creating their own local. Have them click on the central file from the Open dialogue in Revit, and make sure the "Create New Local File" box is checked.

A good way to see if a user is working in the central file or their local file is by using the Worksharing Monitor add-in. Also, check the file name at the top of the screen when the file is open. If the file is appended with the user's name, then it is their local file.

Contributor
xxjwilson
Message 3 of 7 (1,023 Views)

Re: Worksharing error: Can't create local copy without overwriting central first

10-04-2012 11:30 AM in reply to: abulla

Thanks for the response.

I thought this might be the case so I tried to walk them through it. The "create new local" checkbox is un-checked and greyed out, and cannot be changed,as if the file was not a "central" model.....but it is. 

Active Contributor
brettgatti
Message 4 of 7 (1,019 Views)

10-04-2012 11:38 AM in reply to: xxjwilson

Are both of you mapped the same to the location of the central model?  Ex: both of you are using the same drive letter designation and/or the same UNC path?

If this is different it can cause the issue that you describe in your follow-up post (local copy box not being available).

Contributor
xxjwilson
Message 5 of 7 (1,010 Views)

10-04-2012 11:50 AM in reply to: brettgatti

Everyone is mapped to the e drive on our server. However when mapping the drive, the letter e is not available, so we're all using the letter P for our project directory.

P:smileysad:\\server\e\)

The error message (attached) does coincide with this thought however.

Valued Contributor
TonyVav
Message 6 of 7 (983 Views)

10-07-2012 03:17 PM in reply to: xxjwilson

After opening the central file you can "save as" to the local user drive. Thus creating a local copy to the central file.

Contributor
xxjwilson
Message 7 of 7 (972 Views)

10-08-2012 05:36 AM in reply to: xxjwilson

I believe this was the answer. Some of our mapped network drives were named using the IP of the drive and others were mapped using a directory path, even though the destination was the same place, having conflicting naming cuased the problem. It all appears to be working as expected now.

Thank you for the assistance,

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Revit Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Revit helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Revit

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Youtube