Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working with Different Versions of Revit

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Milt-Fitz
1302 Views, 10 Replies

Working with Different Versions of Revit

To all....

I have a "tech" out in the field working with my computer and he said he can not open up my Revit, or the customers Uploaded Revit file on the computer. I know I gave him rights, and just to be on the safe side I borrowed a license for the week (in case he had to go back out there).

I'm using Revit MEP (2013) and in the past getting other versions (Structural, or Architectural) have not been a problem.

Unless the customer is using 2014 this should not be a problem, right?

Sorry, I do not have any screen shots of the problem to post since I'm not actully working on this project, Smiley Frustrated

Any thoughts or trouble shooting tips to give the tech? It looks like I may have to get involved which is what my supervisor is trying to avoid. Again, any tips or help world be appreciated.

Thank in advance,

Milt

Milt Fitzgerald (a.k.a. Drafter1981)
Siemens Industries (Full-Time Office Position)
Fitz’ Digital Cad Service L.L.C. (Consulting Business)
https://sites.google.com/site/fitzdigitalcadservice/
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Drafter1981
in reply to: Milt-Fitz

BTW...it doesn't matter if the response goes to my work subscription or to this one (Home / consulting).

Thanks again!

Milt

Message 3 of 11
alan.quinn
in reply to: Drafter1981

What happens if the user right clicks on the Revit icon on the desktop and chooses Run Revit as administrator? If this does not work did you manage to get screen shots?

Thanks for posting.

Message 4 of 11
Drafter1981
in reply to: alan.quinn

To Alan (alan.quinn) and anyone else that was trying to help,

Sorry for your inquiries / troubles….

It seems as if the field tech had the wrong information regarding the program. The 1st problem was they (the coordination group) did not inform the tech that he also needed “Navisworks” (I added him to the license pool so that he could access the program).

The 2nd problem was our tech did not know you can not import a Navisworks file into Revit. Other than that, all seems to be well.

Of course the tech is still a little confused but we all needed a little push into the BIM world. I’m sure once he gets his feet wet, just like the rest of us he’ll see BIM is just a tool like AutoCAD but smarter.

Thanks again,

Milt

Message 5 of 11
alan.quinn

Milt,

Happy to hear all is well......

Alan

Message 6 of 11
Milt-Fitz
in reply to: alan.quinn

Alan,

Thanks again but it looks like the problem may have come back:

I have a question in regards to borrowing a license.

Recently we added a few new users (as administrators) to the "BIM" computer so they could go out into the field to attend "BIM Coordination Meetings". The problem we have be having is if we "borrow" a license to use in the field the program does not understand that we "Borrowed a License " so now the meeting becomes a waste of time.

This has happened at least twice, and I wrote to the discussion group about this the 1st time thinking this was a user error since the field tech was new.

Now that it has happened to me I believe what he is really saying is happening, meaning the program(s) said you have borrowed a license (or licenses) however when you are out of the office AutoCAD, Revit, or Navisworks does not open.

Is there a new setting, or procedure that  we do not know about? If so, please let me (us) know so we can help out our customers. Any help or comments from other users or Autodesk would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Siemens Industries (Full-Time Office Position)
Message 7 of 11
brettgatti

Are the licenses being borrowed by the specific user(s) who are attending the Coordination meetings?  Is the user name being utilized when logging in to borrow the license the same as is being used out in the field?

Borrowed licenses are user specific.

Message 8 of 11
Drafter1981
in reply to: brettgatti

Doesn't make sense... this is a shared machine with multiple users so the software should be available to anyone using the machine... If that was the case my other users would not be able to access MS office applications.

Message 9 of 11
brettgatti

License borrowing in Revit (and as far as I know - all Autodesk products that utilize FlexLM) is username based.

The license is "checked out" by the person who is logged in at the time of borrowing.  If a different user logs onto the  computer with the borrowed license, they will not have access to the license that the other user borrowed.

Message 10 of 11
brettgatti
Message 11 of 11
Drafter1981
in reply to: brettgatti

Copied  / Reprinted from "Installation & Licensing"

dgorsman, brettgatti

Thanks again for both of your inputs and help. It seems you were both right.

dgorsman was right since I typically use the docking station while in the office with a network card, and brettgatti for providing the actual policy from Autodesk which does states you would need separate license for each profile user that “logs-in” even if we are only using one shared machine / computer.

After consulting with other  CAD managers we have found the best way to resolve the license issue, until we are able to get individual computers, with the network utility, is to use “One” (1) common log-in profile only. That way there are no excuses for not being able to work on the “BIM Machine” We have also been instructed to bring a second personal computer, or device to do other work, since the BIM Machine is just supposed to be use for BIM work only.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report