Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Family Template should I use for Pipe Family

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
sam.z
1209 Views, 2 Replies

Which Family Template should I use for Pipe Family

Hello

I am/wish to create a Family that represents a Sewerage Pipe. What Family Template is best to use for this family? I have attempted to use the following but both have their drawbacks so I am looking for advice on what you think is the best Family Template I could use other than the below:

- Metric Generic Model: Problem is when I load it into a project I cant select the start and end of the pipe only the centre positon. I want to be able to allow the user to select the start and end of the pipe when placing it.
- Metric Structural Framing - Beams and Braces: Works nicely as I can place it using 2 clicks (start and end) but this Family template comes with alot of overhead. Ie, if you have many of these FamilyInstances in a project, Revit will try to join them up using Auto-Join, and that functionality takes ages for the View to redraw. I am aware I can disable this setting in 'Structural Settings' but it would be better to just avoid this altogether by using a FamilyTemplate that doesn't auto-join in the first place.

What family template would you use to represent a Sewerage Pipe?

*Note: Yes, yes I know there are standard Revit pipe families that I could use instead of making my own Family but I am creating an Addin for Revit 2013 and you cannot programmatically create a Pipe in a non-MEP project. So this doesn't work for me.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
abulla
in reply to: sam.z

Pipe is a system family, you can't create new families with that family category. Could you explain a little more what you are trying to do? Attempting to create a pipe family of your own will cause all kinds of fun problems.
Message 3 of 3
sam.z
in reply to: abulla

Thanks for the reply.

I am importing Sewerage & Storm Water networks (from another CAD program) into Revit. So the pipes (my Family) will connect to Pits (Storm water or Sewerage - Round or Square). So I dont need to worry about having the pipes automatically connect to another pipe or pipe connections and so on. Simply pipes will sit next to Pits no connections.

So a user will run my Addin and import these networks. You cant create Standard Pipe FamilyInstances programmatically in a non-MEP project (in Revit 2013 & prior) I dont want to limit my customers ability to use the addin. By having my own pipe family I overcome this.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report