Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the difference between AutoCAD MEP and Autodesk MEP Revit Suite

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
maedrafter51
8203 Views, 3 Replies

What is the difference between AutoCAD MEP and Autodesk MEP Revit Suite

Hi I am trying to decide which program is the best for me to purchase. I would like to produce 3-D drawings of MEP projects, but I would like the learning curve to be as smooth as possible. I have used AutoCAD for over 7 years I have used AutoCAD MEP 07, but only for a brief time and enjoyed the program very much. I am trying to figure out the big difference between the 2 programs. I have taken a look at both of the programs and read all the write ups that I could find to try and figure out the best one for me. To me it looks like AutoCAD MEP is setup more like regular AutoCAD, and the Autodesk Revit MEP Suite looks more like a microstation program it doesn't look like it has a command line. I do just about all of my commands on the command line, as well as scripts and custom buttons. I do not see that being possible with the Revit MEP and to me it looks like the learning curve is going to be less with the MEP. I did read that the Revit MEP Suite is a combination of both Revit MEP and MEP. If this is true then is it possible to switch the look and add the command line and run it this way instead of the default settings. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I thank you in advance for any help you may be able to give me to at least point me in the right direction. I was also if there is any way that I could find a free trial for AutoCAD MEP some were so that I can compare the 2 myself to find out which program would be best suited for me. Once again thank you for your time, and hope someone can help me out in this decision.
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: maedrafter51

Revit Suite is Revit MEP and AutoCAD MEP. Last time we got it, it was only
$100 more for the suite...so you get both products. Well worth it. The move
seems to be on to Revit.

"maedrafter51" wrote in message news:6370086@discussion.autodesk.com...
Hi I am trying to decide which program is the best for me to purchase. I
would like to produce 3-D drawings of MEP projects, but I would like the
learning curve to be as smooth as possible. I have used AutoCAD for over 7
years I have used AutoCAD MEP 07, but only for a brief time and enjoyed the
program very much. I am trying to figure out the big difference between the
2 programs. I have taken a look at both of the programs and read all the
write ups that I could find to try and figure out the best one for me. To me
it looks like AutoCAD MEP is setup more like regular AutoCAD, and the
Autodesk Revit MEP Suite looks more like a microstation program it doesn't
look like it has a command line. I do just about all of my commands on the
command line, as well as scripts and custom buttons. I do not see that being
possible with the Revit MEP and to me it looks like the learning curve is
going to be less with the MEP. I did read that the Revit MEP Suite is a
combination of both Revit MEP and MEP. If this is true then is it possible
to switch the look and add the command line and run it this way instead of
the default settings. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I
thank you in advance for any help you may be able to give me to at least
point me in the right direction. I was also if there is any way that I could
find a free trial for AutoCAD MEP some were so that I can compare the 2
myself to find out which program would be best suited for me. Once again
thank you for your time, and hope someone can help me out in this decision.
Message 3 of 4
maedrafter51

genemarz,
Thank you for your reply. I am having a hard time figuring this out (don't really know why it should be simple). I have downloaded the free trial from Autodesk for the Autodesk Revit MEP Suite. Well I think that it is the suite it is the 2010 addition and that is the one that I downloaded but it does not say Suite on it at all.... The problem I am having besides trying to figure out if they gave me the Suite addition or not is if there is a way to make the prompts come from the command line basically is it possible to have it look like the MEP more then the Revit can I use the command line? and or do I have the right program? your help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you again and hope that you can help me get my head straight and let me know that I am atleast not going nuts and it is the Suite and not just Revit MEP it did come with the Autodesk design review this is really not any use to me, but I would think that if the suite is a combination of both Revit and MEP and would come with a copy of both like it use to for Revit. Well hope you or someone can help me get all of this straight and I can hopefully move on to purchasing the right program. Thank you again.
Message 4 of 4
Jrobker

Yes the AutoCAD® Revit® MEP Suite software combines Autodesk® Revit® MEP and AutoCAD® MEP.

AutoCAD® MEP is very similar to AutoCAD
Similar interface.
Same lisp routines (You may have problems with some custom lisp routines because there are different system variables)
Same layers
Same command line

Revit® MEP is a single file database.
No command line
Not even in the same ballpark as AutoCAD
If you use this program, purge all previous knowledge of AutoCAD.

Since the implementation of BIM we have done 1 project with AutoCAD® MEP and around 20+ with Revit® MEP.

I would say the industry is leaning towards Revit. It really comes down to what the owners and Architects want you to use.

I would focus more on the Revit side.
"It's hardware that makes a machine fast. It's software that makes a fast machine slow."

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report