Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vertical duct error

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
jayspot
370 Views, 15 Replies

Vertical duct error

I have run across this problem a couple of times. I have an air handler that is about 6' tall sitting on the floor and I'm trying to draw a duct out of the top straight up about 10' above it. I click on the air handler, right-click on the connector, select "Draw Duct", enter 16' 0" and click on "Apply". It then gives me the warning "Can't make type "Rectangular Duct Mitered Elbow : Standard". Why would I get this error when I'm not trying to draw an elbow?
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
KyleB_Autodesk
in reply to: jayspot

This might have something to do with the AHU content itself, the connector may be defined so that it requires the duct to rotate. That's just a guess though, do you mind posting the family so I can try and reproduce?

Thanks,
Kyle B

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 16
jayspot

It wouldn't let me attach an .rfa file so I changed the extension to .bmp.
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous

Whatever happened to zip files?

--
R. Robert Bell

wrote in message news:5529112@discussion.autodesk.com...
It wouldn't let me attach an .rfa file so I changed the extension to .bmp.
Message 5 of 16
KyleB_Autodesk

My initial assumption was correct. You need to rotate the Duct Connectors 90 degrees in the clockwise direction using the standard Rotate tool. I did this on your family and things seemed to work correctly.

I've attached the results as well as imags, note that I don't have anything except the Beta for RME 2008, so the file format has been upgraded. If you can't get it to fix on your own, let me know and I'll get you a "fixed" version with the RSY 2 file format.

Cheers,
Kyle B

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 16
jayspot

Thanks for the help. So what determines the correct rotation of the connectors?
Message 7 of 16
KyleB_Autodesk

They should align with the outline of your connections. If you select a connector and zoom into the outline, you'll see the Height and Width dimensions called out. If they're readable, relative to the rest of the family, then the they are in the right orientation.

In your family it was visually obvious that the connectors were not aligned with the physical geometry of the openings, when you added a vertical duct the program tried to rotate the duct on its way up from the connector, but that failed for some reason (not sure why). If you want more clarity, feel free to log this issue with our Subscription Support team, they should be able to get a good answer from our Product Team if they can't figure it out.

HTH,
Kyle B
Revit MEP Product Manager

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 16
jayspot

Okay, something still isn't right. I still get the error when I try to draw the vertical duct. However, if I start a new project and only load in AHU-3 and try to draw the duct it works just fine.

Also, when I click on a connector, the outline doesn't show up like in the images you sent.
Message 9 of 16
KyleB_Autodesk

Ahh, sorry bout that, the outlines show up in the upcoming release, you should see it in April.

Sounds like you definitely have a case for our Support Team, as I'm not sure of what would cause that sort of behavior.

HTH,
Kyle B

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 16
jayspot

Here is what I'm doing, step by step.....
Message 11 of 16
Anonymous

I have found that the duct connector family does matter which direction it is placed. I have received similar errors.
I have had good luck with rotating the connector and switching the height and width.
Message 12 of 16
jsun10

I agree with you! I created a Roof Hood with a connector that was pointing straight out the top of the hood. I spent a couple of hours trying to fiqure out why I couldn't connect any ductwork to it. I looked at the family type and saw that my connector was pointing straight up. I rotated the connector to point down and saved the family. After fixing that connector point, I was able to draw in my ductwork BELOW the roof hood! Hope this helps!
Message 13 of 16
KyleB_Autodesk

As I mentioned earlier, we have improvements coming in RME 2008 that will help you visualize connectors you've placed on Families. That should help you guys avoid situations like this.

Cheers,
Kyle B
Revit MEP Product Manager

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 14 of 16
jayspot

When is that planned to be released?
Message 15 of 16
KyleB_Autodesk

I can't specifically release a date publicly (lawyers), but expect to see a shiny new box in your mailbox sometime in April. Of course, as always, these things are subject to change.

HTH,
Kyle B

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 16 of 16
joefields

I am having a similar issue with a return drop I am trying to put in. I am trying to make a 32"x14" drop from my RTU and have it turn 90 degrees and go under the supply with a 3' extension for sound attenuation. I've tried drawing it several ways and it always goofs the elbow or it wont connect to the unit. I rotated the connectors as you said to make the height and width face the right way but I am not sure if I am missing something on my RTU or if the elbow I am using is goofy. I've attached some screenshots of what it does if I try to use routing solutions to connect a vertical piece to the elbow and then what it does when I try to route it to the duct extension on the unit.
Joe Fields PE, LEED AP BD+C
Mechanical Engineer and C# Enthusiast

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report