Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VAV Design flow

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
revitworkbench
1094 Views, 11 Replies

VAV Design flow

Ok, so I am having difficulty scheduling my VAVs. Particuarlly the deign flow and the pressure. This is because some of them com in, and other VAVs the information doesnt come in. I realized that it is probably a shared parameter issue, but seeing since these categories should auto populate based on the system, and the fact that when I create what i think is a correct shared parameter, the shared parameter doesnt auto populate. It seems to me that this has to be something that most people would want to schedule, so there has to be some sort of work around for this out there for the VAVs that are not currently coming in? Thanks for any advice. 

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
CoreyDaun
in reply to: revitworkbench

Is the entire row of data coming in blank or just certain cells? If multiple VAV's happen to be grouped together with differing info, the filed will appear blank. It'll also be blank if that Shared Parameter has no value or does not exist within the Family. Is it just this Shared Parameter that giving you issues?

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 12

It is not that there are more that one VAV grouped together. The schedule is itemized and not complicated. Besides, I am very familiar with that type of error and at first, thats what I thought it was too. but as you can see in my attachment, that the systems are created properly but some of the vavs have info come into  the  schedule just fine. but the other type of vav, although works well in the system and displays correctly in the system browser and even in the instance properties. These same fields as the VAVs that are displaying correctly are not comming in. Since these parameters have to be calculated somehow internally in revit, when I manually create the parameter that I want and share it, it only ever comes in as a blank field in the instance parameter properties, reguardless of wheather or not I COULD schedule it. it, would be a manual input process, and with systems, I cant have that.

Message 4 of 12
CoreyDaun

I assume you're familiar with that aspect of the Schedules - just wanted to rule out the obvious. Also, others who may stumble across this thread in the future may not be, so I tend to spell things out and elaborate a little more than I need to.

Anyway, looking at your image, I assume that "Design Air Flow" is your Shared Parameter, correct?

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 12
revitworkbench
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Ok, I understand, sorry about that. Well yes, and no. In the VAVs that the Design Airflow is comming through, in the family editor, properties menu, if you select Design airflow, and click modify, it looks like (see attachement) which is weird, because it does not show up in my shared parameters list, or in my project parameters list, yet some how it successfully makes it into the schedule and is automatically populated by the connected system. However, the VAVs that are not working, I tried sharing the parameter, and they still dont auto populate or show up in the schedule. However, they do have a Parameter that does autopopulate, however, if I go into the family to modify this property, it shows up as a Family Parameter. So I went back to the first VAV, exported the "working" shared parameter, and add it to the "non-working" VAV parameters list. Then reloaded and overwrote the VAV in the project. however the numbers didnt autopopulate. I guess my question is where is the black box that is performing the "magic" of this system-driven autopopulate feature of certain parameters, and how does it work?

Message 6 of 12

The question is that a lot of parameters can auto populated based on system design. But if some dont exist that i want to, how do I successfully create a system, type parameter and then have it auto populate. Then does it have to be shared to be scheduled? You would think so, but my evidence proves otherwise. Conversly, if I already have system driven parameters that are correctly auto populating, but are not showing up in the schedule how do I get them there if I cant successfuly re-write them using a shared parameter instead of a family parameter (meaning the new shared parameter wont auto populate and is there for a usless text box). Thanks. 

Message 7 of 12
CoreyDaun

If that Shared Parameter does not show up in your list, who added it? Did it come with the Family? If you do not have access to that exact Shared Parameter, you cannot add it to anything else; meaning that you cannot simply create a Shared Parameter of the same name and use that. Each Shared Parameter has a unique code regardless of the Parameter Name. Even if you don't have access to the parameter, it will still be available in Schedules if it's contained within a loaded Family.

Edit: And looking back at the original image you posted, this may very well be the case. I see that the Titus Families are the only ones that are working.

Message 8 of 12
revitworkbench
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Yes, the shared parameter that is working is coming from the Titus family. However, inside the titus family, I exported this parameter, then imported it into the other VAV (which as I understand it should be the exact shared parameter) but it still didnt work in that one. I think you are right about the VAV that is working, but that still really doesnt answer my question about the "magic black box" although, we are making a little progress. So thanks for that.

Message 9 of 12
CoreyDaun

Right. It should be the exact same parameter. I tested with a random Shared Parameter; I create a new one, added to a Family, deleted the Shared Parameter from the .txt file, exported it from the Family, and added it to another Family. Both of them displayed the Shared Parameter properly in the Schedule.

Would you be able to share the Project File with me so I can see it? I'll send you my email address in a Private Message in case you don't already have it.

Message 10 of 12
CoreyDaun

Alright - I received you Project file privately. Open the Titus family and export the "Design Flow" Shared Parameter. Add it to all of your other VAV Families as an Instance Parameter. Now, in each of these Families, select the Supply Air Duct Connector. Under Properties, change the link for the "Flow" Parameter to "Design Flow" instead. Reload them into your Project and I believe that should fully correct the situation.

Message 11 of 12

Alright that seems to work, thanks for that! Is there any reason why I couldnt just schedule a native Flow parameter though? I mean anyone reading this wont necessarily have the file that I started with to do the transplant surgury that we just did. You know what I mean? 

Message 12 of 12
CoreyDaun

The trick is that the same Shared Parameter is linked to the Supply Connector for all families. That's what matters, so you could just as easily create a new Shared Parameter, add it to the Families, and link it the the Flow Parameter in the Connector.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report