Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using lookup tables to assign part numbers

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
ArynBergman
2189 Views, 3 Replies

Using lookup tables to assign part numbers

Is it possible to use the lookup table function to create part numbers associated with the height and width of a cable tray fitting?  I can get the lookup tables to work with dimensions, but every way I try to get it to write a value to a PartNumber text parameter, I get an inconsistent units error and I've tried all kinds of ways.  If so, could you please provide an example family and lookup table?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
CoreyDaun
in reply to: ArynBergman

Lookup Tables can define a Text Parameter by using the syntax "ParameterName##other##". Attached is a small example of a Family (created in Revit 2012) and Lookup Table. The sample Lookup Table drives four parameter Types: Integer, Length, Text, Yes/No.

Note that Lookup Tables only input a static value for a given parameter, so it's really for Type Parameters. If you want the model number to be driven by Instance Parameters (such as Height and Width), you'll have to create a formula for your "model number" text Parameter just as described in your other thread >>here<<.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 4
ArynBergman
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Hmm, again the formulas are what I'm trying to avoid as I have a ton of families and monsterous nested If/then/else statements would be a nightmare for somebody else to modify and update.  Also the lookup tables that utilize the size_lookup command works with instance parameters (checkout a conduit elbow family from 2014), but it looks like it only works for changing dimensional parameters.  I couldn't ever get it to work with text parameters and I tried all kinds of syntax variations based on how it was done in a conduit family fitting families.  

It's looking like I'll have to fall back on the import/export workflow using the Parameter Transformer tool.  Thanks anyways!

Message 4 of 4
CoreyDaun
in reply to: ArynBergman

My apologies - I misinterpreted your question as "Catalog Files" and not actual "Lookup Tables". But still, my summary is the about same. I don't think that you can apply lookup tables to Text Values. I was able to set up an Integer in this manner (which is also in ###other### syntax), but I was consistently given an "Inconsistent Units" error.

I don't blame you whatsoever for trying to avoid making ridiculous formulas - I've been down that perilous road,too...

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Revit-MEP-Wishes/String-operations-needed/m-p/3447579#M1067

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report