Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a lookup table with a system family

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
ArynBergman
1573 Views, 4 Replies

Using a lookup table with a system family

I need to create a cable tray system family where a part number changes depending on the height and width for the cable tray runs.  I can do this easily for the fittings using lookup table, but I can't seem to find anything for the cable tray runs.  Is there some type of lookup table system for System families?  If not, is there a way to assign a part number parameter to a cable tray system family and have it changed based upon the height and/or width?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
CoreyDaun
in reply to: ArynBergman

There's not too much you can do here - System Families do not employ lookup tables. I believe that the best you could do is to report the catalog number with a Calculated Value in a Cable Tray Schedule. Include the fields "Height" and "Width" (you can hide them if you don't want them showing) and then create a Calculated Value (Text).

The formula will be a little complicated, as it will have to account for every possible model number with a separate condition and text string. Below is an example:

if(and(Height = 0'  6", Width = 0'  6"), "CT66",if(and(Height = 0'  6", Width = 0'  8"), "CT68", if(and(Height = 0'  6", Width = 0'  10"), "CT610", "CT612")))

This formula checks for each size available (in this example, only 6"x6", 6"x8", and 6"x10") and returns the specified string. If the Cable Tray doesn't meet any of the conditions, it will default to the last text string (highlighted in red).

Don't hesitate to ask if any of this is unclear or you otherwise would like more help.

**Note that these consecutive IF/THEN/ELSE conditional statements are only required because it is not currently possible in Revit to combine two or more text strings into one.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 5
ArynBergman
in reply to: CoreyDaun

That's too bad.  I'm sure those formulas would work, but I would have to build them for a whole lot of families.  I think what I'll do is just export the cable tray runs to a spreadsheet and then apply similiar logic there and import the data back in throught the Parameter Transformer tool.

Thanks! 

Message 4 of 5
zeralot
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Thanks for posting this formula.

I managed to modify it to report an Item No. for every possible pipe T variation. 

It's about half a page long but it works. 🙂 

Message 5 of 5
Samir_emam
in reply to: ArynBergman

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report